Which graph represents the higher derivatives of a car's position function?

In summary, the conversation discusses identifying and explaining four different functions shown in a graph, with the order being A, B, C, then D. The speaker mentions using the shapes of the graphs to determine the order, and suggests looking for patterns such as piecewise functions or polynomials. They also mention the relationship between extreme values and derivatives as a helpful tool.
dekoi
This question is more theory than anything else.

I am given the graph attached:

This graph shows four functions.
1.) Position function of a car. ([tex]f(x)[/tex])
2.) Velocity of the car. ([tex]f'(x)[/tex])
3.) Acceleration of the car. ([tex]f''(x)[/tex])
4.) Jerk of the car. ([tex]f'''(x)[/tex])

I have to identify which graph is which (out of a, b, c, & d), and explain why this is so.

However, I have no idea how to do this.
I am assuming that the order is A, B, C, then D. However, this is based solely on observing the shapes of the graphs (since higher derivatives become more linear), but I do not know the theory to explain this.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• calculusss.jpg
    calculusss.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see the attachment yet, but when a certain function reaches a (local) extreme value (minimum or maximum), its derivative is zero. This is also true when the initial function has a horizontal tangent line, which is more general than having an extreme value (it allows e.g. inflections points too).

Can somebody please approve this attachment?
This is an urgent question.

Some basic advice to problems like this is to look at the shapes of the graphs. Do they look like piecewise functions or polynomials? If they look like polynomials, then you know that with each derivative the graph will lose a power.

1. What is a car's position function?

A car's position function is a mathematical representation of the car's position at any given time. It takes into account factors such as velocity, acceleration, and time to determine the car's location in space.

2. What are derivatives in relation to a car's position function?

Derivatives are the rate of change of a function with respect to a given variable. In the context of a car's position function, derivatives represent the car's velocity, acceleration, and other factors that affect its position.

3. How do you graph a car's position function?

To graph a car's position function, plot the time on the horizontal axis and the position on the vertical axis. The resulting graph will show the car's location at different points in time.

4. What does it mean for a graph to represent the higher derivatives of a car's position function?

A graph representing the higher derivatives of a car's position function shows the changes in velocity, acceleration, and other factors over time. This can give insight into the car's motion and how it is affected by external forces.

5. How do you determine which graph represents the higher derivatives of a car's position function?

To determine which graph represents the higher derivatives of a car's position function, look at the slope of the graph. The steeper the slope, the higher the derivative represented. For example, a graph with a steep slope may represent acceleration, while a graph with a less steep slope may represent velocity.