1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hill's equation and plot-Biochem

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The binding of a ligand B to a protein is studied. The protein concentration it 10^-3 M. The amounts bound,b, for each added is given as the following:

(M) (b)(M)
    .001 5*10^-6
    .002 3.3*10^-3
    .005 3.78*10^-3
    .007 4.72*10^-3
    .01 4.95*10^-3
    .02 5*10^-3
    .05 5*10^-3

Find if it is cooperative, the number of binding sites, and K_d

2. Relevant equations

The hills equation can be expressed as log Y/(1-Y) =n log [A] - log K_d

3. The attempt at a solution

So the y intercept is - log K_d and the slope is n when you plot the left side in respect to log [A]. Y is the fractions filled, so I think it would be (b)/(5*10^-3). But, plotting the graph.. it seems a little screwy.. the plot goes from slope of 10.9 to .5 then to ~5.. The graph is shown here.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If it were I could probably help, but I can't see it.:confused:

Possible sources of confusion:
    1) [A] in your equation is concentration of free A in solution, did you calculate that?;
    2) That's enough possible sources of confusion till I see your graph. :tongue:

And to make it easier for us and yourself put also the free A in a table with the other parameters.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?