How Far Does the Goalie Slide on Ice After Catching a Hockey Puck?

• Thread starter Loading
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thanks
In summary, a hockey player sends a .4kg puck at 80 m/s which is caught by a stationary goalie with a mass of 90kg. The coefficient of friction between the goalie and the ice is .05. Using conservation of momentum, the velocity of the goalie after the collision is 0.35m/s. The normal force on the goalie is 885.92N and the friction force is 44.296N. To find the distance the goalie will slide on the ice before stopping, the acceleration must be found by dividing the friction force by the mass, which is -µg.
A hockey player sends a .4kg puck at 80 m/s. A stationary golie cathces the puck. If the coefficient of friction of the golie on the ice is .05 and his mass is 90 kg how far does he slide on the ice before he comes to a stop.

I have found
normal force = mg
= 885.92N
and then friction = .05(885.92N)
= 44.296N
and using conservation of momentum i found the velocity after the collision will be 0.35m/s
but now I am stuck
please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Loading! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Loading said:
… using conservation of momentum i found the velocity after the collision will be 0.35m/s
but now I am stuck

find the acceleration (btw, you didn't need to find the actual force :wink:) …

then, since you know the initial and final velocities, you can use one of the standard constant acceleration equations to find the distance :smile:

okay so this is what i have upto now:
mass of puck = .4kg
Speed of puck = 80m/s
Mass of goalie= 90kg and he is at rest
μ = 0.05

i found the common velocity after the colision to be 0.35 m/s
due to vertical equilibrium i stated that Fg=Fn
Fn=mg
Fn=885.92N
and then Friction = μ x Fn
Friction = 44.296N

but i can't seem to find the acceleration. do i use the friction equation to find it...that will just give me 9.8m/s2

Hi Loading! :smile:
Loading said:
but i can't seem to find the acceleration …

uhh? :confused:

just do what good ol' Newton would have done …

divide the force by the mass! :biggrin:

ooh :D thanks dude

you have probably noticed that the acceleration is -µg …

can you prove this? :smile:

(you need to: it will save you time in the exam :wink:)

tiny-tim, you need to upgrade your avatar.

Attachments

• Dude.jpg
    Dude.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 409

1. What is hockey?

Hockey is a team sport played on ice, in which players use sticks to hit a small rubber disc called a puck into the opponent's goal to score points.

2. How many players are on a hockey team?

A hockey team typically consists of 6 players on the ice at a time: 1 goaltender and 5 skaters. Each team also has a number of substitute players on the bench, usually around 20 in total.

3. What equipment is needed to play hockey?

To play hockey, players need a stick, skates, a helmet with a face mask, gloves, and protective padding for their shins, shoulders, and chest. Goaltenders also have additional equipment such as leg pads, a chest protector, and a mask.

4. How long is a hockey game?

A regulation hockey game is 60 minutes long, divided into three periods of 20 minutes each. There is also a 15-minute intermission between each period.

5. What are the main leagues and tournaments for hockey?

The National Hockey League (NHL) is the main professional league for hockey in North America. Other major leagues include the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) in Europe and the American Hockey League (AHL) in North America. The biggest international tournament for hockey is the Olympic Games, which is held every four years. There are also various other international tournaments, such as the World Championships and the World Cup of Hockey.