Holy current, how do you find the the current at each ammeter?

In summary, to find the current at each ammeter, you can use Kirchhoff's junction and loop laws. The sum of the voltage differences around any closed loop must equal 0, and the current entering a junction must be equal to the current exiting the junction. Additionally, you can use Kirchhoff's loop rule \sum{E}-\sum{IR} = 0 to solve the system. However, you also need to use Kirchhoff's junction rule \sum{i_{in}} = \sum{i_{out}}. This information was helpful to the person seeking help.
hamburgler
Holy current, how do you find the the current at each ammeter??

Homework Statement

Find the current at each ammeter.

SYSTEM.png

My solution
Someone told me to use
[tex]\sum[/tex]E-[tex]\sum[/tex]IR=0
to solve the system but they weren't sure.

But I cannot find anything about this on the internet and I'm freaking out!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use Kirchhoff's junction and loop laws.
The sum of the voltage differences around any closed loop equals to 0.
The current entering a junction equals the current exiting a junction.

The person that told you to use:

[tex]\sum{E}-\sum{IR} = 0[/tex] is partially correct. You need to use that (it's called Kirchhoff's Loop Rule).

You also need to use Kirchhoff's junction rule [tex]\sum{i_{in}} = \sum{i_{out}}[/tex].

thanks mates this helped a lot :approve:

1. How do ammeters measure current?

Ammeters measure current by using a calibrated shunt resistor that allows a small, known amount of current to pass through it. The ammeter then measures the voltage drop across the shunt resistor, which is directly proportional to the current passing through it.

2. Can ammeters be connected in series or parallel?

Ammeters are always connected in series with the circuit. This is because they have a very low resistance and connecting them in parallel would cause a short circuit and potentially damage the ammeter.

3. How do you calculate the current at each ammeter in a circuit?

To calculate the current at each ammeter in a circuit, you would use Ohm's law (I=V/R) and Kirchoff's current law. First, you would calculate the equivalent resistance of the circuit. Then, using the total voltage of the circuit, you can calculate the total current. Finally, you can use Kirchoff's current law to determine the current at each ammeter by looking at the different branches of the circuit.

4. What is the difference between an ammeter and a voltmeter?

An ammeter measures the current flowing through a circuit, while a voltmeter measures the voltage difference between two points in a circuit. Ammeters are always connected in series with the circuit, while voltmeters are connected in parallel.

5. Can ammeters be used to measure AC and DC currents?

Yes, ammeters can be used to measure both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) currents. However, it is important to use the correct type of ammeter for each type of current, as they have different internal designs and calibration methods.