How Do You Build a Throttle and Brakes for a Homemade Gas Scooter?

• Thread starter jimi_hendrix_12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the conversation is about a person who wants to build a homemade mini bike/scooter using an old chainsaw engine and bike frame. They need help with making a throttle and brakes. Some suggestions were given, such as using a control rod or cable for the throttle and buying brake pads for the brakes. However, there are concerns about the safety of the project and the person's level of knowledge and experience in mechanics. A more thorough plan and examination by someone with expertise is recommended.
jimi_hendrix_12
I'm really into building things that move.So i took on the project of a homeade mini bike/scooter.I'm using an old chainsaw engineand an old bike for the frame.But I need some help.u see i don't know how to make a throttle or brakes.If anybody could help me that would be great. thakns.

Computer science news on Phys.org
The engine should already have a throttle. Just hook a control rod or cable to it.
As for the brakes, that would depend upon how much stopping power you need.

Danger said:
The engine should already have a throttle. Just hook a control rod or cable to it.
As for the brakes, that would depend upon how much stopping power you need.
what if i bot some brake pads and installed them myself.would that work?

It's not just brake pads. You need some sort of system to operate them.

jimi, you want to use a chain-saw engine, but seem blissfully unaware that each of these have a trigger-actuated throttle, then you suggest buying "brake pads" as if some kind of drum or disk element for the pads to rub against (and an actuator that can provide binding force for the pads) are unnecessary. You need to learn a lot about mechanics before you build something that will be a lethal danger to yourself and/or others. You may be able to jury-rig something that would make a bike move, but the level of your questions leaves me with serious concerns about your experience and skill level.

My last post got chopped because my boss showed up and needed her computer.
I'm concerned about the safety of this endeavour as well. There should be a definite plan, which needs to be examined by someone who can judge its merits.

FAQ: How Do You Build a Throttle and Brakes for a Homemade Gas Scooter?

1. How much experience do I need to build a gas scooter?

Building a gas scooter requires some basic mechanical skills and knowledge of tools. If you have experience with assembling and repairing small engines, you should be able to build a gas scooter. However, if you are a beginner, it is recommended to seek help from someone with more experience.

2. What tools and materials do I need to build a gas scooter?

You will need a variety of tools such as wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, and a socket set. You will also need materials such as a frame, engine, wheels, brakes, and other necessary components. It is best to have a detailed list of required tools and materials before starting the project.

3. How long does it take to build a gas scooter?

The time it takes to build a gas scooter may vary depending on your experience, the complexity of the project, and the availability of tools and materials. On average, it may take anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks to complete the project.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a gas scooter?

Yes, it is important to take necessary safety precautions when building a gas scooter. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and closed-toe shoes. It is also recommended to work in a well-ventilated area and to follow all safety instructions provided by the manufacturer.

5. Can I customize my gas scooter?

Yes, you can customize your gas scooter according to your preferences. You can choose different colors, styles, and accessories to make your scooter unique. However, it is important to make sure that any modifications you make are safe and do not compromise the performance of the scooter.