Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homade gas scooters

1. Jul 18, 2007 #1
    I'm really into building things that move.So i took on the project of a homeade mini bike/scooter.I'm using an old chainsaw engineand an old bike for the frame.But I need some help.u see i dont know how to make a throttle or brakes.If any body could help me that would be great. thakns.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

The engine should already have a throttle. Just hook a control rod or cable to it.
    As for the brakes, that would depend upon how much stopping power you need.

4. Jul 18, 2007 #3
    what if i bot some brake pads and installed them myself.would that work?

5. Jul 19, 2007 #4

Danger

Gold Member

It's not just brake pads. You need some sort of system to operate them.

6. Jul 19, 2007 #5

turbo

Gold Member

jimi, you want to use a chain-saw engine, but seem blissfully unaware that each of these have a trigger-actuated throttle, then you suggest buying "brake pads" as if some kind of drum or disk element for the pads to rub against (and an actuator that can provide binding force for the pads) are unnecessary. You need to learn a lot about mechanics before you build something that will be a lethal danger to yourself and/or others. You may be able to jury-rig something that would make a bike move, but the level of your questions leaves me with serious concerns about your experience and skill level.

7. Jul 19, 2007 #6

Danger

Gold Member

My last post got chopped because my boss showed up and needed her computer.
    I'm concerned about the safety of this endeavour as well. There should be a definite plan, which needs to be examined by someone who can judge its merits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?