Graphing Polynomials: Solving Homework Questions 3 & 4

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving polynomial graphing and questions 3 and 4. The solution for question 3 involves plotting points from a given source and graphing them, but there is confusion about the meaning of "unrestricted domain". For question 4, it is determined that the domain is initially restricted to a given time period, and it is asked what value the function would give for a later date if the domain was unrestricted. The conversation ends with a thank you.
Ishtar
Homework help (polynomial graphing)

here is the problem:

[img=http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3900/calculushelphd7.th.jpg]

i need help with questions 3, 4

The Attempt at a Solution

for number 3
i got more points from http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/prim11a.htm
and plotted them, but i don't get what's it mean by unrestricted domain
i graphed this
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8028/picgmk5.png [Broken]

for #4
i said its restricted to it because 2007 didn't happen yet (is tat right)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
3 is just asking, "Suppose the graph continued. What would it look like?"

For 4- you are correct. The "domain" is the dates given and is initially "restricted" to between 1997 and 2001. If it were "unrestricted", that is, if you assume the function will be correct for later dates, what value would your functions give for 2007?

thank you

1. What is the purpose of graphing polynomials?

The purpose of graphing polynomials is to visually represent the relationship between the independent and dependent variables in a polynomial function. This allows for a better understanding of the behavior and characteristics of the function, such as its zeros, maximum and minimum points, and end behavior.

2. How do I determine the degree of a polynomial from its graph?

The degree of a polynomial can be determined by looking at the highest power of the variable in the polynomial function. In other words, it is the largest exponent in the function. For example, if the largest exponent is 3, the polynomial is of degree 3.

3. How do I find the x-intercepts of a polynomial from its graph?

The x-intercepts of a polynomial can be found by identifying the points on the graph where the function crosses the x-axis. These points represent the solutions to the polynomial equation when the function is set equal to zero. The x-intercepts can also be found by factoring the polynomial and setting each factor equal to zero.

4. Can a polynomial have more than one y-intercept?

No, a polynomial can only have one y-intercept. The y-intercept is the point where the graph of the polynomial intersects the y-axis, and it is represented by the constant term in the polynomial function. However, a polynomial can have multiple x-intercepts.

5. How can I use the end behavior of a polynomial to determine its degree and leading coefficient?

The end behavior of a polynomial refers to the behavior of the graph as the input values approach positive or negative infinity. By observing the end behavior, you can determine the degree of the polynomial (odd or even) and the sign of the leading coefficient (positive or negative). If the degree is odd, the end behavior will be in opposite directions. If the degree is even, the end behavior will be in the same direction. The sign of the leading coefficient can be determined by the direction the graph is heading as it approaches infinity.