1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homotopy Classes

1. Feb 13, 2013 #1
    The problem asks to show that if the space Y is path connected, then [I,Y], the set of homotopy classes of maps I into Y where I = [0,1], consists of a single element. What I tried to do is take two arbitrary continuous maps f,g: I -> Y and show that they are homotopic. For each s ε I, f(s) and g(s) are elements of Y. Thus, by our assumption, there exists some path, call it ps, such that ps(0)=f(s) and ps(1)=g(s). Define F: I X I -> Y by the equation
    F(s,t)=ps(t)​
    for each s ε I.
    Then,
    F(s,0)=ps(0) = f(s) and F(s,1)=ps(1)=g(s)​
    for each s.

I have since learned that this is incorrect as the correct approach would be to take an arbitrary continous map and show that it is homotopic to a constant map. My question is regarding where my argument failed. Any help/guidance would be great! Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's wrong with that is that I don't see how you can claim that F is continuous in the two variables s and t. You picked the ##p_s## independently for each s. How do you know they fit together to make a continuous map from IxI to Y?

4. Feb 13, 2013 #3
    Thank you! :) I knew it didn't quite make sense, which is why I eventually gave up and searched for a solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook