Solving Homotopy Classes: Proving [I,Y] Consists of Single Element

• Thread starter jmjlt88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary: But I couldn't quite put my finger on where the issue was. After thinking about it more, I see that my approach only shows that the maps f and g are homotopic when restricted to the endpoints of I. It doesn't show that they are homotopic on the entire interval. So my argument doesn't actually prove that the homotopy classes of maps from I to Y are all equivalent, just that they are equivalent at the endpoints. This is why my approach didn't work.
jmjlt88
The problem asks to show that if the space Y is path connected, then [I,Y], the set of homotopy classes of maps I into Y where I = [0,1], consists of a single element. What I tried to do is take two arbitrary continuous maps f,g: I -> Y and show that they are homotopic. For each s ε I, f(s) and g(s) are elements of Y. Thus, by our assumption, there exists some path, call it ps, such that ps(0)=f(s) and ps(1)=g(s). Define F: I X I -> Y by the equation
F(s,t)=ps(t)​
for each s ε I.
Then,
F(s,0)=ps(0) = f(s) and F(s,1)=ps(1)=g(s)​
for each s.

I have since learned that this is incorrect as the correct approach would be to take an arbitrary continuous map and show that it is homotopic to a constant map. My question is regarding where my argument failed. Any help/guidance would be great! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
jmjlt88 said:
The problem asks to show that if the space Y is path connected, then [I,Y], the set of homotopy classes of maps I into Y where I = [0,1], consists of a single element. What I tried to do is take two arbitrary continuous maps f,g: I -> Y and show that they are homotopic. For each s ε I, f(s) and g(s) are elements of Y. Thus, by our assumption, there exists some path, call it ps, such that ps(0)=f(s) and ps(1)=g(s). Define F: I X I -> Y by the equation
F(s,t)=ps(t)​
for each s ε I.
Then,
F(s,0)=ps(0) = f(s) and F(s,1)=ps(1)=g(s)​
for each s.

I have since learned that this is incorrect as the correct approach would be to take an arbitrary continuous map and show that it is homotopic to a constant map. My question is regarding where my argument failed. Any help/guidance would be great! Thank you!

What's wrong with that is that I don't see how you can claim that F is continuous in the two variables s and t. You picked the ##p_s## independently for each s. How do you know they fit together to make a continuous map from IxI to Y?

Thank you! :) I knew it didn't quite make sense, which is why I eventually gave up and searched for a solution.

What is a homotopy class?

A homotopy class is a set of continuous functions between two topological spaces that can be continuously deformed into one another. In other words, it is a collection of functions that are considered equivalent because they can be transformed into each other without any breaks or jumps.

What does it mean to prove that [I,Y] consists of a single element?

To prove that [I,Y] consists of a single element means to show that there is only one continuous function from the unit interval (I) to a given topological space (Y). In other words, there is only one way to continuously transform the unit interval into the given space without any breaks or jumps.

Why is proving [I,Y] consists of a single element important?

Proving [I,Y] consists of a single element is important because it helps to establish the fundamental properties and structure of a topological space. It also allows for the classification and comparison of different spaces based on their homotopy classes.

What are some techniques used to solve homotopy classes?

Some techniques used to solve homotopy classes include the use of homotopy equivalences, deformation retractions, and the application of fundamental group theory. Other techniques may involve constructing explicit homotopies or using algebraic topology methods such as singular homology or cohomology.

Can homotopy classes be solved for any topological space?

No, not all topological spaces have solvable homotopy classes. Some spaces may have infinitely many homotopy classes, making it impossible to determine a single element. In other cases, the topological space may be too complex or have too many holes and gaps to be solved using traditional methods.