Calculating Extra Work for Hooke's Law Spring

In summary, Hooke's Law is a principle that states the force applied to a spring is proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position. To calculate the extra work done on a spring, the formula W = ½kx² can be used, where W is the work, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement. Hooke's Law can be applied to most types of springs, but a modified version may be needed for non-linear springs. The spring constant can be determined by conducting an experiment and is typically measured in N/m.
Momentum09

Homework Statement

It takes 2.11 J of work to stretch a Hooke's law spring 6.08 cm from its unstressed length. How much the extra work is required to stretch it an additional 6.93 cm?

Homework Equations

F = -kx, W = Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

I first solved for Force by dividing 2.11J by 0.0608 m, then I just took that value and multiplied by 0.0693. I am not sure if I'm doing the correct thing. Is there a need to solve for k?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
nvm I got it.

Your approach is correct. Since Hooke's Law states that the force (F) is proportional to the displacement (x) from the equilibrium position, the force required to stretch the spring an additional 6.93 cm would be the same as the force required to stretch it 6.08 cm. Therefore, you can use the same value for force and simply calculate the work by multiplying it by the additional displacement (d).

There is no need to solve for k since it is a constant value for a specific spring and does not change with displacement. However, if you wanted to check your answer, you could use the equation F = -kx and solve for k using the values for force and displacement that you calculated. You should get the same value for k as you would using the original given values.

Overall, your approach is correct and you have calculated the extra work required to stretch the spring an additional 6.93 cm.

1. How do you calculate the extra work for Hooke's Law spring?

To calculate the extra work for Hooke's Law spring, you can use the formula W = ½kx², where W is the work, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. This formula assumes that the force applied to the spring is proportional to the displacement.

2. What is Hooke's Law and how is it related to calculating extra work for a spring?

Hooke's Law states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position. This law is used to calculate the extra work done on a spring, as the amount of work is directly related to the displacement of the spring.

3. Can Hooke's Law be applied to all types of springs?

Hooke's Law is applicable to most types of springs, as long as the force applied to the spring is proportional to the displacement. However, for non-linear springs, such as rubber bands, a modified version of Hooke's Law may need to be used.

4. How can I determine the spring constant for a specific spring?

The spring constant, denoted as k, can be determined by conducting an experiment in which the force applied to the spring is varied and the corresponding displacement is measured. The spring constant can then be calculated by dividing the force by the displacement.

5. What are the units for the spring constant in Hooke's Law?

The units for the spring constant, k, vary depending on the units used for force and displacement. However, the most commonly used unit for the spring constant is N/m (newtons per meter).