1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Horizontal asymptote

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    is there a horizontal asymptote for

i know u take the lim to find h.a
    but what is ln infinity/infinity?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2
    I could be wrong, but I think L'Hopitals Rule could work here.
  4. Oct 30, 2005 #3
    what is L'Hopitals Rule ?
  5. Oct 30, 2005 #4
    Because your limit produces an indeterminate form (that infinity/infinity), you can differentiate separately the numerator and denominator with respect to [itex]x[/itex], thus applying L'Hopital's Rule :biggrin:. You see :shy:,

[tex] \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to \infty } \frac{{\ln x^2 }}{{x^2 }} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to \infty } \frac{{\frac{d}{{dx}}\left( {\ln x^2 } \right)}}{{\frac{d}{{dx}}\left( {x^2 } \right)}} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to \infty } \frac{1}{{x^2 }} = 0 [/tex]

Hope this helps :smile:
  6. Oct 30, 2005 #5
    o..icic...thats the same for -infinity right?
    so the horizontal asymptote is y=0 ?
  7. Oct 30, 2005 #6
    Correct .
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  8. Oct 30, 2005 #7
    i see...thanks a lot
  9. Oct 30, 2005 #8
    Another, quicker way to do this would be to recognize the functions you are dealing with. An algebraic function will "dominate" a logarithmic function for large values of x. Knowing this means that the denominator will go to infinity quicker than the numerator, thus going to zero.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?