I think you're right. I'll try to be more careful.

In summary, a square tank with a perimeter of 40 feet and a height of 12 feet is filled with water weighing 62.4 pounds per cubic foot. The horizontal force on one side of the tank due to the water pressure is calculated by taking the pressure at any depth y in the tank and multiplying it by 10 times the element of area dy. The integral of this equation over the limits 0 - 12 gives a value of approximately 46,224 pounds, close to the given answer of 45,000 pounds.
jbowers9
A square tank 12 feet high having a perimeter of 40 feet is filled with water weighing 62.4 pounds per cubic foot. The total horizontal force on one side of the tank due to the water pressure is MOST NEARLY ________ pounds.

A. 58,000
B. 45,000
C. 36,000
D. 13,000

The answer key says 45,000 lbs. is the answer but I have no clue how they got there.
Total pressure - lbs./ft^2 - should be 12 x 62.4, or 5.2lbs/in^2. How do they get 45,000?

Physics news on Phys.org
First: what is the volume of the tank? Note that 40 feet is the perimeter. Secondly, how do you calculate the horizontal force given the volume of water and the weight (look in your textbook or lecture notes)

Square Tank

with perimeter 40 feet. So each side is 10 feet. I really am mildly ashamed to admit that I don't recall a formula for "horizontal" pressure. I thought pressure at the same depth was the same throughout a fluid. This question is for a State Civile Service exam. NY State. Maybe we do things differently.

jbowers9 said:
with perimeter 40 feet. So each side is 10 feet. I really am mildly ashamed to admit that I don't recall a formula for "horizontal" pressure. I thought pressure at the same depth was the same throughout a fluid. This question is for a State Civile Service exam. NY State. Maybe we do things differently.

Hi jbowers9! :smile:

Yes, pressure is the same in all directions at any fixed height.

Hint: force = pressure times area.

And how does the pressure change with the depth? :smile:

Horizontal Pressure

OK

So the area of the tank is 100ft^2...
It's 12 ft high...
62.4 x 10 X 10 X 12 gives total force which is not 45,000 lbs.

jbowers9 said:
OK

So the area of the tank is 100ft^2...
It's 12 ft high...
62.4 x 10 X 10 X 12 gives total force which is not 45,000 lbs.

urgh!

That's the mass! :cry:

HINT:
tiny-tim said:
how does the pressure change with the depth? :smile:

Horizontal "Force"

Actually, the density x volume IS the force in the English system. Lbs. is a measure of force (mass x g). The English system of mass is the slug.
I figured it out Saturday evening. 62.4y - if y is the verticle coordinate - is the PRESSURE at any depth y in the tank (lbs/ft^2). 10dy is an element of area along one side of the tank.
642 y dy integrated over the limits 0 - 12 give 642 x 72 = 46,224 which is close enough to the given answer of 45,000 for me. Notice that the dimension of the answer is pounds. Which is a unit of FORCE in the English system. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi jbowers9! :smile:
jbowers9 said:
Actually, the density x volume IS the force in the English system. Lbs. is a measure of force (mass x g). The English system of mass is the slug.

I did know that! :smile:

But the mass (in pounds) is a vertical force, and you were asked for the horizontal force! :rolleyes:
I figured it out Saturday evening. 62.4y - if y is the verticle coordinate - is the PRESSURE at any depth y in the tank (lbs/ft^2). 10dy is an element of area along one side of the tank.
642 y dy integrated over the limits 0 - 12 give 642 x 72 = 46,224 which is close enough to the given answer of 45,000 for me. Notice that the dimension of the answer is pounds. Which is a unit of FORCE in the English system. Thank you.

erm … I think you'd get a lot closer if you used 624 instead of 642. :smile:

Related to I think you're right. I'll try to be more careful.

1. What is horizontal force?

Horizontal force is a type of force that acts in a horizontal direction, perpendicular to the vertical axis. It is also known as lateral force.

2. How is horizontal force measured?

Horizontal force is typically measured in newtons (N) or pounds (lbs) using a device called a force gauge.

3. What factors affect horizontal force?

The factors that affect horizontal force include the mass of the object, the angle of the force, and the surface friction between the object and the surface it is resting on.

4. What is the purpose of calculating horizontal force on one side?

Calculating horizontal force on one side is important in determining the stability and equilibrium of an object. It can also help determine the amount of force needed to move or lift an object.

5. How does horizontal force affect motion?

Horizontal force can cause an object to accelerate or decelerate in a horizontal direction. It can also cause an object to change direction or remain in constant motion.