Hot electronics/computers run hotter?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, a computer or other component that is running hot is less efficient and generates more waste heat.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
My title is a bit lacking, I know! So computers and electronics are typically creating waste heat and are ventilated out, sometimes not so efficiently. However, I was wondering if a computer or router or something actually generates extra heat simply because it is running hot, all other things considered constant?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yep, the hotter the electronics get, the less efficient the become, generating more heat in the process. A nice positive feedback cycle.

Hmm I wonder how noticeable it is for a computer.

Pengwuino said:
My title is a bit lacking, I know! So computers and electronics are typically creating waste heat and are ventilated out, sometimes not so efficiently. However, I was wondering if a computer or router or something actually generates extra heat simply because it is running hot, all other things considered constant?
I doubt it. If a computer or other component is running outside of its normal temperature range, it's probably because the cooling fans or heat sinks aren't working at their best or there are fur balls or other stuff blocking airflow, or similar problems. I had some problems with my home computer a couple of summers ago, and discovered that the CPU was running hot, causing a louder than usual fan noise to come on almost continuously. When I opened up the case, I found that the heat sink/CPU fan had come loose, so I took the heat sink off, cleaned the conducting gel off the CPU, put a new coat of gel back on, and put the heat sink/fan back on. The computer's been running fine since then.

Mark44 said:
I doubt it. If a computer or other component is running outside of its normal temperature range, it's probably because the cooling fans or heat sinks aren't working at their best or there are fur balls or other stuff blocking airflow, or similar problems. I had some problems with my home computer a couple of summers ago, and discovered that the CPU was running hot, causing a louder than usual fan noise to come on almost continuously. When I opened up the case, I found that the heat sink/CPU fan had come loose, so I took the heat sink off, cleaned the conducting gel off the CPU, put a new coat of gel back on, and put the heat sink/fan back on. The computer's been running fine since then.

My system is water-cooled so that's not really my problem. I'm just wondering if a better water cooling system would reduce the computer's waste heat. Our A/C has a tough enough problem cooling the upstairs, so I'm just wondering how to make it a little easier to cool the upstairs down.

Then again I'm wondering how much of a heat source my computer is in the first place :P

1. Why do hot electronics/computers run hotter?

Hot electronics/computers run hotter due to the amount of power they consume and the heat generated by their internal components.

2. Is it dangerous for electronics/computers to run hot?

Yes, it can be dangerous for electronics/computers to run hot as it can cause damage to internal components and decrease their lifespan.

3. How can I prevent my electronics/computers from running hot?

To prevent electronics/computers from running hot, make sure they are placed in a well-ventilated area and not covered by any objects that can block airflow. Also, regularly clean out any dust or debris from the internal components to improve airflow.

4. Will using a cooling pad or fan help prevent electronics/computers from running hot?

Yes, using a cooling pad or fan can help prevent electronics/computers from running hot by providing additional airflow and keeping the internal components at a lower temperature.

5. Can running too many programs at once cause electronics/computers to run hot?

Yes, running too many programs at once can cause electronics/computers to run hot as it puts a higher demand on the internal components and generates more heat. It is recommended to close any unnecessary programs to prevent overheating.