Calculating Heat Energy in Conduction: A Mars Case Study

In summary: This can be done by calculating the thermal conductivity of the material and using that value to calculate the energy transferred.
stevemclaren

Homework Statement

the problem is one of understanding. if heat is incident on a surface raising the temperature to some number then conducts through the solid to the other side how much heat energy is actually at the other side?? i understand the temperatures will be different and that heat and temperature aren't the same thing but how could one calculate heat energy at the other side?

Homework Equations

i suppose the conduction equation Q = ((lambda*c.s.a)/length)*delta T)

q in equals a fraction of q out

The Attempt at a Solution

if i use the solar constant on the side a spacecraft around Mars the temperatuere is around 30 degrees C i understand the temperature on the other side will be less and i know the incoming radiation so can work it out, but how much heat energy will be on the other side?

cheers all, this is really playing on my mind

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone got any ideas?

What is 'heat energy'?

stevemclaren said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat

to quote "energy transferred from one body or system to another due to a difference in temperature"
If heat is the transfer of energy, how can one calculate the 'heat energy' at the other side? Surely, once the energy is at the other side it is no longer being transfered, and therefore the 'heat energy' is zero?

radiation conduction convection, all that jazz

I think that you mean you want to calculate the 'energy transferred' (or 'heat') across the boundary. There is no such quantity as 'heat energy' and something cannot 'have heat', however, energy can be transferred across a boundary via 'heat'.

From what I understand of your question, you have light incident on some surface, you want to calculate the energy transferred through the surface?

Last edited:

1. How is heat energy calculated in conduction?

In conduction, heat energy is calculated using the formula Q = kA(T2-T1)/d, where Q is the heat energy, k is the thermal conductivity constant, A is the surface area, T2 and T1 are the temperatures at the two ends of the material, and d is the thickness of the material.

2. How does conduction work on Mars?

On Mars, conduction works similarly to how it works on Earth. However, the lower atmospheric pressure and thinner atmosphere on Mars can affect the rate of heat transfer through conduction.

3. What factors can affect the heat energy transferred through conduction on Mars?

The factors that can affect the heat energy transferred through conduction on Mars include the thermal conductivity of the material, the surface area, the temperature gradient, and the thickness of the material. The atmospheric conditions, such as pressure and composition, can also play a role.

4. How does the heat energy transferred through conduction impact the temperature on Mars?

The heat energy transferred through conduction can impact the temperature on Mars by either increasing or decreasing it. If the heat energy is transferred from a warmer material to a cooler material, it can raise the temperature of the cooler material. However, if the heat energy is transferred from a cooler material to a warmer material, it can lower the temperature of the warmer material.

5. Can conduction be the only method of heat transfer on Mars?

No, conduction is not the only method of heat transfer on Mars. The other methods of heat transfer include convection and radiation. However, conduction is the dominant method of heat transfer in solid materials, which are abundant on the surface of Mars.