Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How am i supposed to determine the speed of air?

1. Apr 24, 2005 #1
    Please Help!!

How am i supposed to determine the speed of air??
    I need it for Bernoulli's Equation, see i built a glider and i have to present on Wednesday, and i want to show that i did at least one calculation.
    As if things weren't bad enough already i have to figure out two velocities, one of the speed underneath the wing and the other of the velocity on top of the wing.
    how do i do it?? I was thinking that maybe the velocity of the air over the wing is the whole glider's velocity which would be really easy to calculate. and perhaps the velocity of the air underneath the wing would be the air's velocity at that time. (i can probably get it online at a weather website)
    Anyone have any suggestions?? R.S.V.P.!!!
    This is driving me nuts!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Tell your teacher that Bernoulli's principle does not explain lift. Have a look at:
    http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/wrong1.html

You might try calculating the lift that your glider creates. Have a look at the NASA site on glider flight:

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/glider.html

AM

4. Apr 24, 2005 #3
    hmm.. the bernoulli principle doesnt explain lift... so what does?

5. Apr 24, 2005 #4

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What does what?

What does explain lift?----> Fluid Mechanics Theory.

What does Bernoulli Equation say?----> Several things, but not everything.

6. Apr 24, 2005 #5
    Bernoulli principle does explain the lift, the problem is that you cannot use Bernoulli equation to calculate the lift.
    Bernoulli equation deals with ideal nonviscous liquid. For that liquid no lift can be generated, neither air can provide a retarding force. However, if the viscousity is taken into account, the flow became complex.
    The rough explanation is that at relativelly low speeds vortecies are forming on the rear edge of a wing. Then, because the momentum should be conserved, an opposite vortex is formed along the wing. That attached vortex provide the neccessary difference of the air speeds above and below the wing. After that we can use the Bernoulli principle to calculate the lift.
    That theory was developed by Zhukovsky and Chaplygin in Russia before WWI.

7. Apr 25, 2005 #6

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're exposing yourself to replies of Arildno & Co. who has been discussing this topic very long long before. I am not going to reply to you in order to don't start it again.

8. Apr 25, 2005 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Am I a dangerous man? :uhh:
    Can't say I disagree terribly much with shyboy, since he notes the crucial importance of viscosity.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  9. Apr 25, 2005 #8
    I believe it is better to be exposed to critics than to be safe like this:
    why not Newton's laws ;)

10. Apr 25, 2005 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Easy guys - this looks like a question that needs a simple answer. MM - how about just using Bernoulli's equation to calculate the freestream velocity of the air(essentially, the airspeed of the glider) at the front of the glider by measuring the pressure with a pitot tube: http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/tech/fluids/bernoul.htm

11. Apr 25, 2005 #10
    well thanks guy for trying to help, but i dont really need it anymore. I have to present on Wednesday and i'm not really worried about it cus i'm pretty much done...i just gotta do the PowerPoint presentation.

and by the way, you can find the NetForce using Bernoulli's Equation.
    First you take the change in pressure using Bernoulli's equation.
    Then, since Pressure is equal to Force over Area, you solve for force and get
    F=(pressure)(A) the area used is the wing's total area. you calculate Fnet and Voila, you're done!
    we did an example problem like this, and if the teacher was wrong you better not ride in another Boeing cus that's where he worked. hahaha

12. Apr 26, 2005 #11

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know, Arildno, you have a Toledan Knife just below your PC table. I saw it when you invited me to take dinner that day.... :biggrin:

13. Apr 26, 2005 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Toledan knife?
    Are you sure you don't mean the saracen sword my Viking ancestor got from Al-Mansur for helping to subjugate soft Spaniards of his time? :wink:

14. Apr 26, 2005 #13

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: Not really.

Toledo is a medieval city of Spain. It is famous for its steel and swords:

"All European armies knew the superior quality of Toledo's steel and many great warriors relied only on sabers of Toledan provenance."
    go here:
    http://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/def_en/articles/steel_collector/swords_from_toledo.html

The best steel? In Toledo. The best swords? In Toledo. :wink:

Some time you come here I will show Toledo to you, if you want. :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?