How are construction lines used in Autodesk?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of construction lines in manual drafting and how they are applied in computer drafting. It was also mentioned that guidelines can be used in autodesk software and that CAD software has a feature called "object snap" which can function similarly to construction lines. The location of these lines was also mentioned, as well as the individual's search for answers from experts on a forum.
RoboNerd
Hi everyone.

I know that construction lines were used when drafting was done by hand. Now, we do everything on the computer. So, how are they used on the computer?

Also, how are guidelines used in autodesk? Were they not used in manual drafting also? How are they used in computer drafting?

Also, where would I see both types of lines?

I tried scouring the internet for answers, but there were none, so I am turning to the experts on this form.
Thanks in advance for the feedback and the help! Greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what a guide line is, but construction lines can be used exactly the same way in CAD as they would be in manual drafting. CAD software, however, has an additional function called "object snap" which can function like a construction line. It will draw extensions of lines, apparent intersections of lines that stop short of each other, etc as you move the cursor.

Likes RoboNerd and Nidum
Thank you sir for the input! Greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your valuable input everyone. I believe that your answers tell me everything I need to know.

1. How do construction lines help in Autodesk?

Construction lines are used as a guide for creating precise and accurate drawings in Autodesk software. They act as temporary reference lines that can be used to align, measure, and create other objects in a drawing. Construction lines are especially helpful when creating complex or symmetrical designs.

2. How can I create construction lines in Autodesk?

To create construction lines in Autodesk, go to the Draw panel and select "Construction Line" from the drop-down menu. Then, click on the starting point of the line and drag it to the desired length and direction. You can also use the "X" key as a shortcut to create construction lines.

3. How do I edit construction lines in Autodesk?

To edit construction lines in Autodesk, select the line and use the edit handles to change the length, angle, or position. You can also use the Properties panel to input specific values for the construction line. If you want to delete a construction line, simply select it and press the "Delete" key.

4. Can construction lines be used with other objects in Autodesk?

Yes, construction lines can be used with other objects in Autodesk. They can be used as a guide for drawing lines, arcs, circles, and other shapes. Construction lines can also be used with other tools such as trim, extend, and offset to create more complex designs.

5. Are construction lines visible in the final drawing in Autodesk?

No, construction lines are not visible in the final drawing in Autodesk. They are used as a guide and are meant to be temporary. Once you have completed your drawing, you can delete the construction lines or hide them from view. This will not affect the final appearance of your drawing.