How Are You Feeling After the Elections?

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation covers a variety of topics such as emotions after the election, opinions on the outcome, concerns about future wars, thoughts on democracy and organized religion in politics, and the role of moral issues in voting. It is noted that some people are happy with the results while others are not, and there is discussion about the impact of religious beliefs on voting decisions. The passing of amendments on marriage is also a point of concern for some individuals.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How do you feel, after the elections ? Happy, sad, no different ?

I've been depressed :frown: all night but now I'm going to make an effort to put this all behind me. Guess I got too emotionally involved in this one...:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Very happy that Kerry lost. Not so thrilled about Bush winning.

Same, in the long run the President will have no or little effect on me.

Seeing everyone cry and moan (here and abroad) about Bush winning is sure worth it though :D

Just wondering who Shrub plans on attacking next. Probably Iran.

So, recon. What's life like living under a sultan's rule? HE's not a war monger, is he?

John Stewart once said:

Iran has weapons of mass destruction and links to Al Queda

Iraq has no weapons of mass destruction and links to Al Queda

So we're off by only one letter. Give credit to where credit is due :biggrin:

Beyond the desire to gloat a little (I love a good liberal bash every now and then), no different. I expected this outcome and I think the next 4 years will be better than the last 4.

Tsunami said:
Just wondering who Shrub plans on attacking next. Probably Iran.

You right, I'm happy I bought some gold when it was still relativelly cheap.
War is coming.

I'm pleased that a free and prosperous nation was able to argue, campaign and then vote for a man to lead them for the next four years, without the danger of dictatorship and lawlesness. If only it was so in every country in the world. If you don't like the result - get over it!

Live free!

Just wondering who Shrub plans on attacking next

Just wondering what is going to be the next accident of Shrub (after the pretzel, the Segway scooter and the bycicle)

Last edited:
All I can can say is.. "ohhh Canadaaaaa..."

time for a change:P

Interesting, how most of the richer states voted for Kerry...

I look at this election as proof that democracy is a poor form of government. The fact that I don't support organized religion has been justified further in my mind. I'll be berating Bush until the next four years are over while bemoaning that fact that my faith in humanity has been shattered. Can the pieces be put back together? If so, I certainly hope it happens soon.

From an optimistic perspective I'm anxious to see what future problems arise because America has a Bush for a President. I hope the friendly physicsforums people in America survive the next four years without too much hardship. Good Luck~!

Vote Nader ~ Email, mail, or knock on your local politicians door! Tell them you want Nader for President! The madness must be put to an end.

Amber said:
Interesting, how most of the richer states voted for Kerry...

Here's another way of saying that :

It's interesting how the better educated (and I don't consider attending church, education) folks voted for Kerry.

It's interesting to note that a good chunk of Kerry's votes came from people you answered 'I never attend church.' on the exit polls. I think faith is becoming a big part of American politics, and it's absolutely sad. In the past, a Presidents religious qualities have always been sort of a footnote, important, but not *the* quality voters would place their vote on. With this last election, it's proof that Americans, specifically conservative, average intelligence Americans will be placing this above the rest of the qualities of a President.

A friend of mine who's family lives in Ohio filled me in on how the Republicans won the state.

Article 1 was on constitutionally defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

That was enough to get all the fundamentalists from southern Ohio to the polls.

People that vote to inflict their personal morals onto others as their primary concern are scary. I mean issues like employment, education, health care, etc... are unimportant when same sex marriage might be allowed! :wink:

enigma said:
A friend of mine who's family lives in Ohio filled me in on how the Republicans won the state.

Article 1 was on constitutionally defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

Very true. In fact this issue was on the ballot in about a dozen states (most of them, key battleground states).

I'm starting to hear some very disconcerting things from folks who voted here in Ohio...I'll have to find some real data before I say unpleasant things.

People that vote to inflict their personal morals onto others as their primary concern are scary.

I suppose the dictionary is a moral text too?

Evo said:
People that vote to inflict their personal morals onto others as their primary concern are scary. I mean issues like employment, education, health care, etc... are unimportant when same sex marriage might be allowed! :wink:

I would disagree. Moral issues are huge issues because they determine whether the country heads in a left or right-wing direction. Moral issues are also important to those who hope for secularism or the abolishing of organized religions with illogically based moral beliefs. I certainly don't respect the application of religious faith in voting. I think the flaw is not in the fact that moral issues have a place in voting; I believe the flaw lies in religion.

Regardless, Kerry had a better stance on employment, education, and he was definitely better in his stance on health care.

I'm assuming you were in favor of Kerry. If so, go you!

enigma said:

I think the passage of those amendments bothered me far more than Bush being elected, mainly because I see it as something else Bush will use to validate basing his decisions on religious arguments, and of course because it sets back civil rights quite horribly. I also didn't like how that was campaigned for...as voting to protect marriage, as if somehow they were going to take marriage away for everyone else or something.

I'm somewhat sad, and worried...with Renquist sick, I sure hope the rest of the Supreme Court justices can hang on another 4 years. I can get over Bush appointing one justice, but if he gets the chance to appoint multiple justices with the backing of a conservative congress, we're going to watch our civil rights take a huge leap backward for a long time to come.

I'm sad and depressed at the same time :frown:. I'm happy that my mom won her race but I'm really sad that Kerry and Betty Castor lost :cry: . We worked so hard down here. I'm really mad that they have declared a winner and they have not finished counting ALL of the votes. There were 1.5 million absent-T ballots that were sent in down here and they have not finished counting. Wow this is a really sad day for me :cry: .

its a sad day for all of us

i get shivers when people say Bush has been re-elected, cause he was never elected in the first place, he was instated

Well he was definitely elected this time. You cannot doubt the legitimacy of this election.

Legitimate: Based on logical reasoning; reasonable.

In some ways you can doubt the legitimacy of this election. ;)

Tsunami said:
So, recon. What's life like living under a sultan's rule? HE's not a war monger, is he?

Today's national headline news is "Malaysian Fined Over Fake Jewellery". Click here to see if you don't believe.

The biggest thing to happen in our country this year is the marriage between the Crown Prince and a 17-year-old school girl.

So, it's all good. :cool:

recon said:
Today's national headline news is "Malaysian Fined Over Fake Jewellery". Click here to see if you don't believe.

The biggest thing to happen in our country this year is the marriage between the Crown Prince and a 17-year-old school girl.

So, it's all good. :cool:

How old is the Crown Prince?

I followed your link...I like reading a variety of news sources around the world. What is Hari Raya? I see a lot of references to that on the news site in your link (in the ads on the page). Is that an upcoming holiday? If so, what does it celebrate?

Happy Happy Joy Joy, Happy Happy Joy Joy, Happy Happy Joy Joy....

The Crown Prince turned 30 earlier this year.

Hari Raya is the celebration of the Muslim New Year and it is celebrated for roughly 2 weeks. We get a two-day public holiday, so everyone is looking forward to it. I'm not sure what date it falls on, but it is sometime in the next one or two weeks.

During Hari Raya, the Sultan has an 'open house' and everyone, regardless of race or religion, is allowed to visit him at his Istana (or Palace). He gets several thousand visitors, so we have to wait in a queue to be able to meet him. If you are a woman, you don't meet him, but his wife. We usually have to wait several hours in line before we get to the front of the queue that winds through the palace.

Hurkyl said:
What does the dictionary have to do with how people vote? :confused:

If Bush had not been re-elected,he most probably would have been assasinated.

Gold and foreign currencies are strong only because the dollar is weak, which I think will be the trend for the next few years.

Hurkyl said:
Since you are so involved in math, you should know that definitions are all important. They do contain moral views, and in the most perverse form of all. Think about it : do you use "holiday" or "vacation" ? Is not there a very profound difference ? If you google-define it, you will find for both "leisure time away from work devoted to rest or pleasure". But "vacation" refers to "away from work, not producing" whereas "holiday" would be much closer to "devoted to rest or pleasure" which is very different. So yes indeed, the dictionnary is full of moral considerations.

I could not tell for sure in english, but in french we have very few identical words. Synonyms are usually only similar. Here is an instance of really identical meanings in french : "multicolore" and "polychrome" which I need not translate for you. Apart from those very peculiar instances, the word one uses has a very strong and deep psychological influence on oneself, and a constant use of specific moral terms is usually done on purpose.

The mere fact that your president pretends being "good" against "evil" is a symptom. You also seem to assimilate laws to moral principles. However, laws are not even supposed to be assimilated to ethics. Supposely there is an ethical council which is different and independent from the lawing board. This difference is not so clear in your country, is it ?

So, it's all good.

You and your lack of turmoil! :mad:

Gokul43201 said:
How do you feel, after the elections ?

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.