Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How broad is nuclear engineering?

1. Aug 17, 2013 #1
    I wonder

How broad is nuclear engineering?
    Is nuclear engineering in high demand?
    Should I take EECS and ME to enrich my engineering skills?

I'd like to get a BA in Business and a BS in NE. Which areas of nuclear engineering (energy, nuclear medicine, nuclear materials ...) will make my business degree more marketable?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you more interested in engineering or are you more interested in business?

4. Aug 18, 2013 #3
    I'm interested more in engineering.

5. Aug 19, 2013 #4

QuantumPion

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At the present time jobs in nuclear power engineering can be hard to come by, due to a large number of graduating students expecting a nuclear resurgence or retirement boom which didn't pan out. The combination of the Fukushima incident, natural gas fracking, and regulatory environment has put a damper in nuclear power's future for the near term. As far as nuclear medicine is concerned, I have no idea.

If you are primarily interested in a technical degree to get your foot in the door on the road to business school/management you'd probably be better off with a more generic and flexible degree such as mechanical or electrical engineering.

6. Aug 22, 2013 #5
    What about nuclear materials, nuclear physics, nuclear non-proliferation, radiation detection?

7. Aug 22, 2013 #6

QuantumPion

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

These fields are more likely to require a masters degree or higher to get into.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook