How broad is nuclear engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the current demand for nuclear engineering jobs and how it may be impacted by factors such as the Fukushima incident and natural gas fracking. It also mentions the potential for a nuclear resurgence in the future. The conversation also touches on the various areas of nuclear engineering, such as nuclear medicine, nuclear materials, nuclear physics, nuclear non-proliferation, and radiation detection, and how they may require a higher level of education. Ultimately, the conversation suggests that a more generic and flexible degree, such as mechanical or electrical engineering, may be a better route for someone interested in pursuing a business degree in the future.
xholicwriter
I wonder

How broad is nuclear engineering?
Is nuclear engineering in high demand?
Should I take EECS and ME to enrich my engineering skills?

I'd like to get a BA in Business and a BS in NE. Which areas of nuclear engineering (energy, nuclear medicine, nuclear materials ...) will make my business degree more marketable?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you more interested in engineering or are you more interested in business?

I'm interested more in engineering.

At the present time jobs in nuclear power engineering can be hard to come by, due to a large number of graduating students expecting a nuclear resurgence or retirement boom which didn't pan out. The combination of the Fukushima incident, natural gas fracking, and regulatory environment has put a damper in nuclear power's future for the near term. As far as nuclear medicine is concerned, I have no idea.

If you are primarily interested in a technical degree to get your foot in the door on the road to business school/management you'd probably be better off with a more generic and flexible degree such as mechanical or electrical engineering.

What about nuclear materials, nuclear physics, nuclear non-proliferation, radiation detection?

xholicwriter said:
What about nuclear materials, nuclear physics, nuclear non-proliferation, radiation detection?

These fields are more likely to require a masters degree or higher to get into.

Related to How broad is nuclear engineering?

1. What is nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering is a field of engineering that involves the study, design, and application of nuclear processes and technologies. This includes the use of nuclear energy for power generation, as well as the development of nuclear weapons, nuclear medicine, and other applications.

2. What are the main areas of nuclear engineering?

The main areas of nuclear engineering include nuclear power, nuclear medicine, nuclear waste management, and nuclear non-proliferation. Each of these areas involves different aspects of nuclear technology and requires specialized knowledge and expertise.

3. How is nuclear engineering different from other types of engineering?

Nuclear engineering is distinct from other types of engineering in that it primarily deals with the use and control of nuclear processes. This requires a deep understanding of nuclear physics, radiation, and other specialized knowledge that is not typically found in other engineering fields.

4. Is nuclear engineering a growing field?

Yes, nuclear engineering is a growing field with many opportunities for career growth and advancement. With the increasing demand for clean energy and the development of new technologies, the need for skilled nuclear engineers is expected to continue to rise in the coming years.

5. What are the potential risks and benefits of nuclear engineering?

The potential risks of nuclear engineering include the possibility of nuclear accidents or disasters, as well as the potential for nuclear weapons to be used for destructive purposes. However, nuclear engineering also offers many benefits, including the ability to generate large amounts of clean energy, treat and diagnose medical conditions, and safely dispose of nuclear waste.