How can a highschool student study the nonuclidean geometry himself ?

In summary: I'm seeking for a start point to understand how the world works. General relativity may be a good place to start, since it is more concise and has fewer advanced mathematics terms.
ahoura
Hello,

I'm really interested in understanding Einstein's theory of relativity but I'm still a newbie, so I need to study the nonuclidean geometry, I tried to read "Euclidean and Non Euclidean Geometries" by Greenberg but since it was for the pure mathematics students and it was full of the logical theorems and definitions i was forced to give up.

is there any good resource for a high school student to understand a little of "the nonuclidean geometry" needed for relativity ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure that I would recommend studying non-Euclildean geometry in general as a road to general relativity. Einstein uses, specifically, "Riemannian geometry" which, while it certainly is a non-Euclidean geometry, makes heavy use of calculus, which is not true of non-Euclidean geometry in general.

HallsofIvy said:
I'm not sure that I would recommend studying non-Euclildean geometry in general as a road to general relativity. Einstein uses, specifically, "Riemannian geometry" which, while it certainly is a non-Euclidean geometry, makes heavy use of calculus, which is not true of non-Euclidean geometry in general.

I have to start from a point but i don't know from where i should start, would you give me some advices about this ?

Do you want to learn special relativity or general relativity? Special relativity should be no problem and doesn't require any advanced math for the most part. On the other hand, general relativity requires a lot of advanced math if you want to calculate anything.

maze said:
Do you want to learn special relativity or general relativity? Special relativity should be no problem and doesn't require any advanced math for the most part. On the other hand, general relativity requires a lot of advanced math if you want to calculate anything.

general relativity, I only want to get a glimpse into how this world works, but i don't know how i can find the right way, I already read a lot about special relativity and as u said I had no problem with it but special relativity doesn't satisfy me and can't answer my questions

actually I'm seeking for a start point to understand how the world works

Hello ahoura.

I have so far found that the first few chapters of The Geometry of Minkowski Spacetime - an Introduction to the Mathematics of the Special Theory of Relativity by Gregory L. Naber very good for my level of understanding.

Matheinste.

1. What is nonuclidean geometry?

Nonuclidean geometry is a type of geometry that defies the traditional Euclidean principles. It involves the study of geometric objects and their properties on curved surfaces, such as spheres or hyperbolic planes.

2. Can a high school student study nonuclidean geometry on their own?

Yes, a high school student can study nonuclidean geometry independently. It is a challenging topic, but with dedication and resources, it is possible for a motivated student to learn about this branch of mathematics.

3. What resources are available for a high school student to study nonuclidean geometry?

There are various resources available for a high school student to study nonuclidean geometry, such as textbooks, online lectures, and math forums. Additionally, there are interactive apps and games that can help visualize and understand nonuclidean concepts.

4. How can a high school student approach studying nonuclidean geometry?

A high school student can approach studying nonuclidean geometry by first understanding the basic principles of Euclidean geometry. Then, they can move on to learning about the nonuclidean principles and their applications. It is important to practice and solve problems to solidify the understanding of the concepts.

5. What are the real-world applications of nonuclidean geometry?

Nonuclidean geometry has many real-world applications, such as in physics, astronomy, and architecture. It is also used in computer graphics and virtual reality to create realistic 3D environments. Additionally, nonuclidean principles are applied in the theory of relativity and the study of black holes.