Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can a highschool student study the nonuclidean geometry himself ?

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1

I'm really interested in understanding Einstein's theory of relativity but i'm still a newbie, so I need to study the nonuclidean geometry, I tried to read "Euclidean and Non Euclidean Geometries" by Greenberg but since it was for the pure mathematics students and it was full of the logical theorems and definitions i was forced to give up.

is there any good resource for a high school student to understand a little of "the nonuclidean geometry" needed for relativity ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure that I would recommend studying non-Euclildean geometry in general as a road to general relativity. Einstein uses, specifically, "Riemannian geometry" which, while it certainly is a non-Euclidean geometry, makes heavy use of calculus, which is not true of non-Euclidean geometry in general.
  4. Oct 12, 2008 #3
    I have to start from a point but i don't know from where i should start, would you give me some advices about this ?
  5. Oct 12, 2008 #4
    Do you want to learn special relativity or general relativity? Special relativity should be no problem and doesn't require any advanced math for the most part. On the other hand, general relativity requires a lot of advanced math if you want to calculate anything.
  6. Oct 12, 2008 #5
    general relativity, I only want to get a glimpse into how this world works, but i don't know how i can find the right way, I already read a lot about special relativity and as u said I had no problem with it but special relativity doesn't satisfy me and can't answer my questions

actually i'm seeking for a start point to understand how the world works
  7. Oct 12, 2008 #6
    Hello ahoura.

I have so far found that the first few chapters of The Geometry of Minkowski Spacetime - an Introduction to the Mathematics of the Special Theory of Relativity by Gregory L. Naber very good for my level of understanding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?