How can a volume integral yield a vector field?

In summary, the formula in the section about continuous charge distributions states that the electric field at a given point is the sum of the contributions from each point charge.
rcmps772
I'm using the textbook Electricity and Magnetism by Purcell. In the section about continuous charge distributions I found the following formula

[tex] \mathbf{E}(x,y,z)= \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0 } \int \frac{\rho(x',y',z')\boldsymbol{\hat r} dx'dy'dz'}{r^{2}} [/tex].

It's stated that (x,y,z) is fixed while we let the variables x', y' and z' range over the domain of integration. What puzzles me is that radial unit vector, which is supposed to point from (x', y', z') to (x,y,z), making the integrand a vector valued function.
What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
rcmps772 said:
What puzzles me is that radial unit vector, which is supposed to point from (x', y', z') to (x,y,z), making the integrand a vector valued function.
Yes, it is the radial unit vector which gives the vector nature to the total E field.

blue_leaf77 said:
Yes, it is the radial unit vector which gives the vector nature to the total E field.

I understand the idea, but as a mathematical object it looks like nonsense to me. There are no examples in the textbook that use this formula directly. They use symmetry arguments such that only the magnitude of one direction is calculated.

rcmps772 said:
but as a mathematical object it looks like nonsense to me.
In which way does it look nonsense to you?
rcmps772 said:
They use symmetry arguments such that only the magnitude of one direction is calculated.
Well, the symmetry argument derives automatically from the vector summation, doesn't it? Without the presence of the radial unit vector in the integrand, there can't be such thing as cancellation of one or more of the field's components. The examples in your textbook do use that formula, but most of the times, examples are a group of problems which can be solved and understood easily. That's why a physical situation which is facilitated by the symmetry argument is commonly found in examples.

blue_leaf77 said:
In which way does it look nonsense to you?
In the same way that this looks
[tex]\int (r_x,r_y,r_z) dx'dy'dz'[/tex]
This is essentially the same as what's up there, just removed clutter. I don't understand how this works.

rcmps772 said:
In the same way that this looks
[tex]\int (r_x,r_y,r_z) dx'dy'dz'[/tex]
This is essentially the same as what's up there, just removed clutter. I don't understand how this works.
The integral of a vector is, by definition, the vector formed by integrating each of the components.

PeroK said:
The integral of a vector is, by definition, the vector formed by integrating each of the components.

Well, makes sense. I'm guessing that it's defined just as easily through Riemann sums.Thank you for the help.

rcmps772 said:
Well, makes sense. I'm guessing that it's defined just as easily through Riemann sums.Thank you for the help.
Yes, exactly. Although, once you have proved the properties of a scalar integral, the properties of a vector integral follow.

rcmps772 said:
I understand the idea, but as a mathematical object it looks like nonsense to me
If it weren't a continuous charge distribution, but instead a finite number of discrete point charges, you'd calculate the electric field at a given point by summing the contributions from each point charge. Each contribution ##\vec{E_i}## would be a vector, so you'd write it as the product of its magnitude (##Q_i/r_i^2## where ##Q_i## and ##r_i## are the charge of and distance to the ##i##'th point charge) and a unit vector in the direction of that charge. These vectors point in different directions, but that doesn't stop you from adding them.

The integral you're looking at is the same thing except extended to an infinite number of infinitesimally small charges represented by ##\rho##. The integrand is the vector-valued contribution to the total field produced by the infinitesimal charge in the infinitesimal volume dx'dy'dz at a distance ##r## in the direction ##\hat{r}##; the integral is the sum of all of these.

1. What is a volume integral?

A volume integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the total value of a function within a three-dimensional space. It involves breaking the space into infinitesimal cubes and summing up the values of the function at each point within the cubes.

2. How can a volume integral yield a vector field?

A volume integral can yield a vector field by taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each of the three spatial coordinates. This results in a set of three scalar functions, which can be combined to form a vector field that describes the behavior of the original function within the given volume.

3. Why is a vector field useful?

A vector field is useful because it allows us to visualize and analyze the behavior of a function in a three-dimensional space. It can also be used to calculate important quantities such as flux and circulation, which have applications in fields such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

4. What are some real-world applications of volume integrals and vector fields?

Volume integrals and vector fields have numerous real-world applications, including in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. They are also used in computer graphics to create realistic simulations of physical phenomena such as smoke and water.

5. What are the limitations of using volume integrals to calculate vector fields?

One limitation of using volume integrals to calculate vector fields is that they can be computationally intensive, especially for complex functions or large volumes. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the size of the infinitesimal cubes used in the calculation.