How can I build a battery box with a switch to toggle between 12v and 24v?

In summary, to use this setup you will need four switches, each with a single throw, and one with a double throw. The switches would need to be permanently wired together, and the negative output would need to be on the right side of the battery bank.
STUTS
I have built these before, but have forgotten how I did it. I am making a battery box with four 12v batteries (7.5 Ah each). I will have only one pair of output terminals, one + and one -. Inside will be a switch to toggle between 12 and 24v. I do remember that in the 12v position all batteries could be charged (all parallel). I thought I used a dbl.pole, dbl. throw, ctr. off switch. I can't see how to do it now. Maybe it was a 4 pole switch. I know this seems simple, but I am drawing a blank right now.
Anyone have an answer? Thanks in advance. Stuts

Engineering news on Phys.org
You would need to do this:

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/12%20V%20-%2024%20V.PNG

The batteries are arranged in two parallel banks permanently wired together.

Note that the two switches are linked together and they need to be a non-shorting type so that the top batteries cannot be shortcircuited, even briefly, while switching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear vk6kro- Thank you. I could not find where the negative 'out' would be, unless it was any point along the ground leg. Also, the 'second' leg of the switch connected to the negative terminal of the lower batteries goes to an empty terminal for the 12v position. It seems to still work that way. I was convinced that I needed another pole to make this work. Thank you so much. R.

STUTS said:
Dear vk6kro- Thank you. I could not find where the negative 'out' would be, unless it was any point along the ground leg. Also, the 'second' leg of the switch connected to the negative terminal of the lower batteries goes to an empty terminal for the 12v position. It seems to still work that way. I was convinced that I needed another pole to make this work. Thank you so much. R.

Yes, that is right, anywhere that is shown as a ground connection can be taken as the negative output.
I have modified the diagram above to show this.

The right hand switch really only needs to be a single throw, but the other switch is double throw. So, the switch that goes nowhere is OK.

1. What is the difference between a 12v and 24v battery box?

A 12v battery box contains a 12-volt battery, while a 24v battery box contains a 24-volt battery. The voltage refers to the amount of electrical potential energy that the battery can provide. Generally, a higher voltage battery box is used for more powerful or energy-intensive applications.

2. Can I use a 12v battery in a 24v battery box, or vice versa?

No, it is not recommended to use a battery with a voltage that is different from the battery box. Doing so can damage the battery and potentially cause safety hazards. It is important to match the voltage of the battery with the voltage of the battery box.

3. What is the purpose of a 12v and 24v battery box?

A 12v and 24v battery box is used to house and protect a battery, as well as provide connections for the battery to be used in various applications. It also helps to organize and store multiple batteries in a safe and efficient manner.

4. How do I know which voltage battery box is suitable for my application?

The voltage of the battery box should match the voltage requirements of your application. It is important to check the voltage specifications of your equipment or device before choosing a battery box. If you are unsure, it is always best to consult with a professional to ensure you are using the correct battery box.

5. What are some common uses for a 12v and 24v battery box?

12v battery boxes are commonly used for smaller applications such as powering portable devices, cars, and boats. 24v battery boxes are often used for larger applications such as powering heavy-duty equipment and vehicles. They are also commonly used in solar power systems and off-grid solutions.