How can I integrate (Sin^4(x)*Cos^4(x)) without a calculator?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of (Sin^4(x)*Cos^4(x)) in respect to x without using a calculator. Various methods are suggested, including using Euler's formulas and manipulating the equation to isolate a chain rule factor. The final answer is expected to be a sum or difference of trigonometric fractions with denominators of 128.
Alabran

Homework Statement

Find the integral of (Sin^4(x)*Cos^4(x)) in respect to x without using a calculator.

Homework Equations

Sin^2(x) + Cos^2(x) = 1
Sin^2(x) = (1-Sin(2X))/2
Cos^2(x) = (1+Sin(2X))/2
Sin(2x) = 2Sin(x)Cos(x)
Cos(2x) = Cos^2(x) - Sin^2(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been attempting to manipulate the equation so-as-to isolate a chain rule factor so I can use the U subsitution method on the problem. Unfortunately, my efforts so far have been fruitless.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately these are both even powers, so you won't be able to get a u-substitution out of it (at least not a trivial one). You can do some sneaky algebra to get it into an easily integrable form, or just put it all in terms of sine or cosine to a power, and use a reduction formula.

Sin^4(x)*Cos^4(x) = (sin(x)cos(x))^4 = ((1/2)Sin(2x))^4

than i would use Eulers formulas:

sin(b) = (e^ib-e^-ib)/(2i)

cos(b) = (e^ib+e^-ib)/(2)

Have also tried using Eulers formulas?
My favorite in integrating trigonometric functions.

so you can express the Sin^4(x)*Cos^4(x) as

(-1/16)*(2cos8x - 8cos4x + 6)

can have done some errors, it is very late now in sweden hehe

I haven't tried the Euler's forumula method, though I doubt that is what is intended.

In class, the answer to that and several other similar problems were put up in random order to show where we should be at the end. The ultimate answer was quite clean, just a sum or difference of trigonometric fractions of different powers. I don't quite remember the exact answer, though I believe the denominators were 128.

Thank you all for your help in the meantime.

{should be (-1/16^2)*(2cos8x - 8cos4x + 6)

yes:)

Eulers formula ALWAYS work, i have never seen a trigonometric function that it don't works on. You don't have to remember identities and so on, just Euelers two formulas hehe

Thank you for your help Malawi, that's a start for me, though I don't believe that's the answer my teacher is looking for. I'll try manipulating the Euler's formula some more.

No it is not the answer, i just said that you can express (sin^4(x)cos^4(x)) as that..

and yeah, forget the (-1/16^2) , shoulb be (1/16^2) = 1/256

Last edited:

Related to How can I integrate (Sin^4(x)*Cos^4(x)) without a calculator?

1. What is the chain rule in integration?

The chain rule in integration is a method used to find the derivative of a composite function. It involves taking the derivative of the outer function and multiplying it by the derivative of the inner function.

2. When do I use the chain rule in integration?

The chain rule is used when the function being integrated is composed of multiple functions. It allows us to break down the composite function into simpler parts and find the derivative of each part, which can then be multiplied together to find the overall derivative.

3. How do I apply the chain rule in integration?

To apply the chain rule in integration, you must first identify the inner and outer functions in the composite function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. If there are multiple inner functions, continue this process until you have found the derivative of the entire function.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule in integration?

Some common mistakes when using the chain rule in integration include forgetting to take the derivative of the inner function, mixing up the order of the functions, and not properly distributing the derivatives when there are multiple inner functions.

5. Can the chain rule be used in other areas of mathematics?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied in other areas of mathematics, such as in calculus, differential equations, and multivariable calculus. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics that allows us to break down complex functions and find their derivatives.