How can I solve for impulse without time or velocity?

• Thread starter x2017
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary: My guess is that your teacher is likely to prefer a minus sign, but that's just a guess.d) Yikes, still stuck on this one! Does it have anything to do with this equation? v'={M[V(1+e)-ev]+mv}/M+mI confess I have trouble parsing the equation in this linear form. You have the momentum from (a). You also have the friction force you used to calculate (c). How much time will it take for the friction force to reduce the momentum to zero? How far will the stone travel in that amount of time? Since the velocity is being reduced linearly, what is
x2017

Homework Statement

IMG_0043.jpg

Homework Equations

ΣF=ma
FF=μFN
impulse=ΣFΔt
momentum=mv
ΣFΔt=mΔv

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

This is where I got stuck... How can I solve for impulse without time or velocity? Is there a way to manipulate the equations to love for either time or velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
x2017 said:
How can I solve for impulse without time or velocity?
Hi x:

As I read the problem statement, the time to use is 1.5 seconds, and the force is calculated using FF=μFN.

Also, WRT (a), I think your teacher would like momentum in the units kg m/s.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi x:

As I read the problem statement, the time to use is 1.5 seconds, and the force is calculated using FF=μFN.

Also, WRT (a), I think your teacher would like momentum in the units kg m/s.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Okay, thank you! I wasn't sure if the question meant friction while the athlete was exerting a price on the rock or afterwards (which I don't have a time for).
& thanks for the tip about the units!

c) impulse=ΣFΔt
= (18.64N)(1.5s)
=27.96Ns Is this supposed to be negative because friction is acting in the negative direction?

d) Yikes, still stuck on this one! Does it have anything to do with this equation? v'={M[V(1+e)-ev]+mv}/M+m

x2017 said:
Is this supposed to be negative because friction is acting in the negative direction?
Hi x:

My guess is that your teacher is likely to prefer a minus sign, but that's just a guess.

x2017 said:
d) Yikes, still stuck on this one! Does it have anything to do with this equation? v'={M[V(1+e)-ev]+mv}/M+m

I confess I have trouble parsing the equation in this linear form.

You have the momentum from (a). You also have the friction force you used to calculate (c). How much time will it take for the friction force to reduce the momentum to zero? How far will the stone travel in that amount of time? Since the velocity is being reduced linearly, what is the average velocity of the stone during the time between F1 becoming zero 0 and velocity becoming 0?

Regards,
Buzz

Related to How can I solve for impulse without time or velocity?

What is impulse?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object. It is equal to the force exerted on an object multiplied by the time interval over which the force is applied.

How is impulse calculated?

Impulse is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time interval over which the force is applied. It is typically measured in Newton-seconds (N-s) or kilogram-meters per second (kg-m/s).

What is the relationship between force and impulse?

Force and impulse are directly proportional. This means that as the force applied to an object increases, the impulse also increases. The longer the force is applied, the larger the impulse will be.

What is the unit of impulse?

The unit of impulse is the Newton-second (N-s) or kilogram-meter per second (kg-m/s). These units represent the amount of force applied to an object over a certain time interval.

How is impulse related to momentum?

Impulse is directly related to momentum. In fact, impulse is equal to the change in momentum of an object. This means that when an impulse is exerted on an object, its momentum will change in the same direction as the force applied.