How can I solve for the sines and cosines in a harmonic oscillation problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the frequency and period of oscillation using the distance of an object from the equivalence point. The equations for simple harmonic motion are suggested as a means of solving the problem. The speaker also mentions using energy theorems and finding relationships between forces and accelerations to find the relevant sines and cosines. The other person expresses gratitude for the assistance provided.##
PhysicS FAN
Homework Statement
An object of mass m=1kg is executing a simple harmonic oscillation. During its oscillation it passes from a point A at which the speed of the object is u=1m/s and the force that its acting on it is F=2N. When the object passes form point B is moving with a speed u'=2m/s and an acting force of F'=1N. What's the frequency of the oscillation and what's the biggest distance from the equivalence position.
Relevant Equations
T=2π/ω, ΔΚ= W, F=kd
First of all, I found a function of the distance of the object form the equivalence point in both cases. I got something like d=2d' where d is the distance at the first case and d' at the second. I did that because I wanted to find the frequency, and so first I need to find the period of oscillation. In order to find the period I need to know D ( T=2π √m/D ). I used energy theorems to get an other equation involving d and d' but I am stuck. I think that the problem is quite easy but I just can't get to the answer. Any Ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
##F = ma## is one idea.

It looks tricky. Not easy. But, maybe if you look at the equations for SHM, you could find ##\cos(\omega t_A)## and ##\sin(\omega t_A)## etc.

That might help.

PeroK said:
It looks tricky. Not easy. But, maybe if you look at the equations for SHM, you could find ##\cos(\omega t_A)## and ##\sin(\omega t_A)## etc.

That might help.
Yes I'll try that

PhysicS FAN said:
Yes I'll try that
Well, I can't find anything that way. I think the best way to approach it is energetically since D theoritically could be found this way.

PhysicS FAN said:
Well, I can't find anything that way. I think the best way to approach it is energetically since D theoritically could be found this way.

It definitely comes out that way. You could start with the relationship between the forces implies the same relationship between the accelerations at ##A## and ##B##. So:

##\cos(\omega t_A) = 2\cos(\omega t_B)##

The relationship between the velocities gives you another equation for the sines. From these you should be able to solve for all the relevant sines and cosines.

You still need the energy equation and what you've got already. But, getting the value of the sines and cosines is key.

PeroK said:
It definitely comes out that way. You could start with the relationship between the forces implies the same relationship between the accelerations at ##A## and ##B##. So:

##\cos(\omega t_A) = 2\cos(\omega t_B)##

The relationship between the velocities gives you another equation for the sines. From these you should be able to solve for all the relevant sines and cosines.

You still need the energy equation and what you've got already. But, getting the value of the sines and cosines is key.
Thanks a lot you've been really helpful!

1. What is harmonic oscillation?

Harmonic oscillation is a type of motion where an object moves back and forth around a central equilibrium point. The motion is periodic, meaning it repeats itself at regular intervals, and is governed by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the object from the equilibrium point.

2. What is the equation for harmonic oscillation?

The equation for harmonic oscillation is x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ), where x(t) is the displacement of the object at time t, A is the amplitude (maximum displacement), ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

3. How is harmonic oscillation different from other types of oscillation?

Harmonic oscillation differs from other types of oscillation in two main ways. First, it follows a sinusoidal pattern, while other types of oscillation may have more complex patterns. Second, it has a constant period, meaning the time it takes for one complete oscillation remains the same regardless of the amplitude or initial conditions.

4. What factors affect the frequency of harmonic oscillation?

The frequency of harmonic oscillation is affected by two main factors: the mass of the object and the stiffness of the restoring force. A heavier mass or a stronger restoring force will result in a lower frequency, while a lighter mass or weaker restoring force will result in a higher frequency.

5. How is harmonic oscillation used in real life?

Harmonic oscillation has many real-life applications, such as in pendulum clocks, musical instruments, and earthquake-resistant buildings. It is also used in various technologies, such as in electric circuits, lasers, and radio frequency filters. Understanding harmonic oscillation is crucial in fields such as mechanics, physics, and engineering.