How Can Triangle Coordinates Be Found with Given Information?

I'm a math professor, so it's my job to help people with stuff like this. :smile:In summary, the problem presented is finding the coordinates for an unknown point C given the coordinates for points A and B and the distances between them. The conversation discusses various methods and approximations for solving this problem, ultimately resulting in two possible sets of coordinates for point C. The conversation also touches on the complexity of the math involved and the background of the individuals involved.
super15mn
so i have a problem, and I am not sure it can be solved here but i thought maybe someone could point me in the right direction. I have 2 sets of geographical coordinates, these coordinates are 0.87 miles apart, the unknown here is a third set of coordinates.. now, i know point A to point B is 0.87 miles and the distance from point A to unknown point C is .3696969 miles and the distance from point B to unknown point C is 0.61 miles...this helps if you draw a triangle. can the coordinates to unkown C be found with the given information?

please email me if you know anything about how i can solve this..

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There will be more than one possible point (in particular, there will be two of them), and any answer will be relative to the positions of [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex], but let's take a look:

Set A = (0,0). B is 0.87 miles away, so set B = (0.87, 0). We need a point C = (x, y) s.t.

[tex]d(C,A) = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} \approx 0.37[/tex]

and

[tex]d(C,B) = \sqrt{(x-0.87)^2 + y^2} \approx 0.61.[/tex]

Subtracting the square of the first equation from the square of the second yields

[tex]-2(0.87)x + 0.87^2 = (x-0.87)^2 - x^2 = 0.61^2 - 0.37^2,[/tex]

which results in [itex]x\approx 0.30[/itex]. Now plug that back into the square of the first equation, to get

[tex]0.30^2 + y^2 = 0.37^2,[/tex]

and solving for [itex]y[/itex] yields [itex]y \approx \pm 0.217[/itex].

So C is approx. either (0.30, 0.217) or (0.30, -0.217). In other words, if B is exactly east of A, then C is 0.30 miles east of A and 0.217 miles either north or south of A.

thanks so much for the help

is there anyway we can translate this to coordinates,

A= N 35 08.487, W089 52.046
B= N 35 09.025, W089 52.692

would that involve an algorithm, i have some general direction from point A to unknown point C, is definately West of point A and more than likely north.

Point A to Point B is NorthWest in direction

I can try to help you, but I'm afraid I'll need some help first: Are those coords latitudes/longitudes (if so, I assume degrees and minutes?)? I really don't know anything about the standard notation for coordinates used in practice! :-p

If it helps: Starting at A, C is 0.30 miles in the direction of B and 0.217 miles perpendicular to the direction from A to B (there are two directions perpendicular to the direction of B. There's not enough info to tell which is the right one. However, once I figure out the coordinates you gave me I can probably tell you which one :smile:)

Edit: Ok, here's a further best guess; If I understand your coordinates properly then B is northwest of A. If C is also northwest of A, I'm going to assume that you mean it's also probably northeast of the line joining A to B.

In that is the case, if you start at A, then you should walk 0.30 miles directly towards B, turn right [itex]90^\circ[/itex], and walk 0.217 miles that way.

Give me a few minutes and I should be able to get you proper longitude/latitude coords.

Last edited:
they are latitude and longitude, the lat is the North and the Long is the West. there are 3 different system od coord, the ones i use are the WGS84 system, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGS84 these coords are DDD MM.MMM where D is degrees and M is minutes.

i believe it will be to the south and to the west, becausr my "directions" say i will need to start out waling northwest and suddenly follow a straight line south west

Alright, after a bit of calculation then:

C should lie at (approximately) either

N 35 09.010, W 89 52.143

or

N 35 08.576, W 89 52.683.

Based on your info above it seems as though the first one is more likely.

Edit: Okay, based on your last post the second one's seems like it's the right one :-p. You can probably make a guess as to which is more likely from the coords.

Edit 2: Whoops, wait a minute. I swapped the distance between C and B with the distance between C and A in my calcs. Just a second!

Last edited:
ok when i looked at these coords it gave me approximately 0.61 miles from A to C, and Ac to C needs to be 0.36969, 0.61 is the Distance from B to C?

you are really good, you realized it was wrong before i did!

Yep, see above :smile:. Here are the corrected (approx.) coords:

N 35 8.541, W 89 52.432

N 35 8.804, W 89 52.105

you are really good, you realized it was wrong before i did!

Wouldn't be much help if I gave you wrong directions! :wink:

how is this done? i really only need it for this one time but, is your math really complex?

This is a pretty simple problem, but that's mitigated by the fact that I'm pretty rusty at plane geometry! It's also complicated by not really being plane geometry at all. In fact one of the approximations in my calculations was that I could approximate the Earth by as flat on small distance scales (the spherical geometry comes in because the distance that [itex]1^\circ[/itex] of longitude represents changes based on the latitude).

Past that it's just a bunch of simple trig. I would show you the steps, but it'd be fairly incomprehensible without diagrams. :smile:

well i appreciate it, i am a chemistry grad, and now in pharmacy school, this seemed WAY over my head thanks for the help

No problem!

Related to How Can Triangle Coordinates Be Found with Given Information?

1. What are triangle coordinates and how are they used in math?

Triangle coordinates refer to the set of three numbers that represent the location of a point in a two-dimensional coordinate system. They are commonly used in geometry and trigonometry to calculate the position, distance, and angles of points within a triangle.

2. How do you find the coordinates of a triangle?

The coordinates of a triangle can be found by using the distance formula and the slope formula. The distance formula calculates the distance between two points, while the slope formula calculates the slope of a line. By finding these values for each side of the triangle, you can determine the coordinates of each point.

3. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it related to triangle coordinates?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem is often used in conjunction with triangle coordinates to calculate the length of one side of a triangle when the coordinates of the other two points are known.

4. Can triangle coordinates be negative numbers?

Yes, triangle coordinates can be negative numbers. In a two-dimensional coordinate system, the x-axis represents horizontal movement and the y-axis represents vertical movement. Negative x-coordinates would indicate movement to the left, while negative y-coordinates would indicate movement downwards.

5. How are triangle coordinates used in real-life applications?

Triangle coordinates have many real-life applications, such as in navigation systems, map-making, and computer graphics. They can also be used in engineering and construction to determine the position of objects and to create accurate diagrams and blueprints.