How Can You Determine the Elastic Limit of a Spring Without Causing Damage?

In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment in which the spring constant was determined, but now there is an assignment to find the elastic limit without damaging the spring. The concept of plastic deformation and stress and strain was mentioned, and a book reference was requested for further understanding. It was also noted that the linear relation in Hooke's Law is only valid for small deformations and larger deformations can result in non-reversible changes in the spring.
foofoo
Hi everybody.

First of all, sorry for my English. It's not my mother tongue.

We made the Hooke's Law experiment at school (high school). Everything worked out great. We had to find the spring constant and we did. But our teacher gave us an assignment for extra credits! We have to find the elastic limit of our springs without damaging it. I know we could get lots of springs and test them with know weigths (trial and error), but I don't think that's what she wants.

I've been googling and I've found some websites that talk about the elastic limit of springs and show plots where you can identify the elastic limit point. They talk about plastic deformation and how stuff crack in different ways. I've found topics about stress and strain, but I haven't found a specific example applied to what I need. I found a site that talked about if we stretch a wire, the amount it stretches by depends on its length, its diameter and the material it’s made of. I think something similar applies to springs.

Could anyone tell me which concept I should look for? A book's reference would be great? Does anyone know a book where I could find an example like this?

Thanks all.

Physics news on Phys.org
The important point is that the Hooke's Law linear relation (L = Lo + k F),
which is reversible, is only valid for "small" deformations.
Larger deformations will be non-linear, and not reversible.
That is, if you increase Force little-by-little, and plot the slope as you go,
the slope (dL / dF) will change just as the elastic limit is reached.

This WILL make a permanent change in the spring.
But if that change is small enough, next year's students won't notice that your spring is different from the springs that were not abused this year.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Hooke's Law experiment and your assignment to find the elastic limit of your springs without damaging them. It's great to see students taking an interest in further exploring a topic beyond what is covered in class.

To answer your question, the concept you should be looking for is called the "yield strength" of a material. This is the maximum stress (force per unit area) that a material can withstand before it starts to permanently deform or break. In the case of a spring, the yield strength would be the point at which it can no longer return to its original shape after being stretched or compressed.

As you mentioned, this can be determined by plotting stress (force per unit area) versus strain (change in length/ original length) and identifying the point at which the curve deviates from a linear relationship (i.e. the elastic limit). This can also be found by performing a tensile test on a sample of the material and measuring the point at which it starts to permanently deform.

I would recommend looking for resources on materials science and engineering, as this is the field that studies the properties and behavior of different materials. A textbook such as "Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction" by William D. Callister Jr. and David G. Rethwisch may be helpful in understanding the concepts of yield strength and plastic deformation.

I hope this helps and good luck with your assignment! Keep up the curiosity and enthusiasm for science.

Related to How Can You Determine the Elastic Limit of a Spring Without Causing Damage?

1. What is the elastic limit of a spring?

The elastic limit of a spring is the maximum amount of force that can be applied to the spring before it permanently deforms and does not return to its original shape.

2. How is the elastic limit of a spring determined?

The elastic limit of a spring is determined through experimentation by gradually increasing the force applied to the spring until it reaches a point where it does not return to its original shape.

3. What happens when a spring is stretched beyond its elastic limit?

When a spring is stretched beyond its elastic limit, it will not return to its original shape and may become permanently deformed or even break.

4. Can the elastic limit of a spring be increased?

No, the elastic limit of a spring is a physical property that is determined by the material and design of the spring and cannot be increased.

5. What factors can affect the elastic limit of a spring?

The elastic limit of a spring can be affected by the material of the spring, its design, and any external factors such as temperature or corrosion.