How can you password protect a USB - work with linux & win?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of password protecting a USB drive and accessing the protected files on both Linux and Windows. The options of hardware-encrypted and software-encrypted USB sticks are mentioned, with the former being more secure but expensive. The conversation also mentions some brands and software, such as Kingston Data Traveller Privacy and TrueCrypt, that offer cross-platform encryption. The speaker also mentions their need for a software that can encrypt USB sticks without the need for installation, and suggests GnuPG as a portable option. Lastly, they mention their difficulty in finding a solution for decrypting the USB on a school computer where they do not have root access.
Rectifier
Gold Member
Hey,
Is it possible to password protect a USB drive and make it possible to acess these protected files on both linux and windows simultaneously?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have a 32GB hardware-encrypted USB stick that I access on both linux and Windows. It works fine.

Hardware-encrypted sticks are the most secure, but expensive. Software encryption is less secure but much cheaper. I imagine that software encryption on ordinary USB sticks is also possible in a way that works on both linux and Win (and Mac), but I haven't looked into it.

What is the name of the stick?

I am looking for a software that can software encrypt my USB sticks.

Mine is a Kingston Data Traveller Privacy. There's a brand called Kanguru that does both platforms as well.

It might be hard to find a cross-platform software encrypter. I googled a bit and found a ref to TrueCrypt that it said was cross-platform. But when I followed the link it said it had been discontinued.

Rectifier said:
I am looking for a software that can software encrypt my USB sticks.
Look up GnuPG. It's pretty portable.

And the other problem I am having is that I will decrypt the USB at my schools computer (I am not root) - which is **bunut (not sure which thoue since they had mint and lubuntu before). So I can't install stuff on their computer.

1. How can I password protect my USB drive on both Linux and Windows?

There are several ways to password protect a USB drive on both Linux and Windows. One option is to use a third-party tool, such as VeraCrypt or TrueCrypt, which allow you to create encrypted containers on the USB drive. Another option is to use built-in encryption features on both operating systems, such as BitLocker on Windows or LUKS on Linux.

2. Can I password protect my USB drive without using any additional software?

Yes, both Windows and Linux have built-in encryption features that allow you to password protect your USB drive without using any additional software. However, these features may not be as robust as third-party tools and may not work on older versions of the operating systems.

3. Is it possible to password protect a USB drive on one operating system and still be able to access it on the other?

Yes, as long as you use an encryption method that is supported by both Windows and Linux, you will be able to access your password protected USB drive on both operating systems. Just make sure to use the same password when accessing the drive on different systems.

4. Can I password protect individual files on my USB drive?

Yes, with some third-party tools, such as VeraCrypt, you can create encrypted containers or folders on your USB drive and password protect individual files within them. This allows for more flexibility and control over which files are protected.

5. Is it necessary to have administrative privileges to password protect a USB drive?

Yes, in most cases, you will need administrative privileges to install and use encryption software on both Linux and Windows. However, some operating systems may have built-in encryption features that can be used without administrative rights.