Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can you password protect a USB - work with linux & win?

Tags:
  1. Sep 10, 2015 #1

Rectifier

Gold Member

Hey,
    Is it possible to password protect a USB drive and make it possible to acess these protected files on both linux and windows simultaneously?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have a 32GB hardware-encrypted USB stick that I access on both linux and Windows. It works fine.

Hardware-encrypted sticks are the most secure, but expensive. Software encryption is less secure but much cheaper. I imagine that software encryption on ordinary USB sticks is also possible in a way that works on both linux and Win (and Mac), but I haven't looked into it.

4. Sep 11, 2015 #3

Rectifier

Gold Member

What is the name of the stick?

I am looking for a software that can software encrypt my USB sticks.

5. Sep 11, 2015 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Mine is a Kingston Data Traveller Privacy. There's a brand called Kanguru that does both platforms as well.

It might be hard to find a cross-platform software encrypter. I googled a bit and found a ref to TrueCrypt that it said was cross-platform. But when I followed the link it said it had been discontinued.

6. Sep 11, 2015 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Look up GnuPG. It's pretty portable.

7. Sep 11, 2015 #6
  8. Sep 11, 2015 #7

Rectifier

Gold Member

And the other problem I am having is that I will decrypt the USB at my schools computer (I am not root) - which is **bunut (not sure which thoue since they had mint and lubuntu before). So I cant install stuff on their computer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook