How can you use a table of values to graph y=cosx-2?

In summary, the function y=cosx-2 can be graphed by finding the coordinates for y=cosx, then shifting all the y coordinates down by 2 units. This method will result in the correct graph. The c value in the function y=acos(k(x-d))+c is not always in degrees, as the input values can also be in radians or grads. The transformation to y=cosx-2 can be achieved by subtracting 2 from the original function.
supernova1203
Graph the function y=cosx-2I have already graphed this, there are several methods to solve this, i opted to use table of values to find all the coordinates to y=cosx, then moved all the y coordinates of each point 2 units down, and the y int was at -1...would this method result in the correct graph?

the -2 is the c value I am assuming because the d value is ALWAYS in degrees, atleast in these instances.

y=asin(k(x-d))+c

y=acos(k(x-d))+c

what y int do you guys get? Does what i have done make sense?

this is to transform the function from base to y=cosx-2

Physics news on Phys.org
"I have already graphed this, there are several methods to solve this, i opted to use table of values to find all the coordinates to y=cosx, then moved all the y coordinates of each point 2 units down, and the y int was at -1...

would this method result in the correct graph? ...Does what i have done make sense?"

Yes. I don't know how you would get it really, or anything else, if it doesn't make sense.

Now I hope you will be confident to do the other ones and make sense.

supernova1203 said:
Graph the function y=cosx-2

I have already graphed this, there are several methods to solve this, i opted to use table of values to find all the coordinates to y=cosx, then moved all the y coordinates of each point 2 units down, and the y int was at -1...

would this method result in the correct graph?
Yes. If you know what the graph of y = f(x) looks like, the graph of y = f(x) - 2 will be the first graph translated (shifted) down by two units.
supernova1203 said:
the -2 is the c value I am assuming because the d value is ALWAYS in degrees, atleast in these instances.
That's not generally true. The input values to the trig functions can be in degrees or radians, and rarely, grads, another kind of angle measure in which 100 grads make up a right angle.
supernova1203 said:
y=asin(k(x-d))+c

y=acos(k(x-d))+c

what y int do you guys get? Does what i have done make sense?

this is to transform the function from base to y=cosx-2

Related to How can you use a table of values to graph y=cosx-2?

1. What are sine and cosine functions?

Sine and cosine functions are two of the most fundamental trigonometric functions used in mathematics. They are used to describe the relationship between the sides and angles of a right triangle.

2. How are sine and cosine functions related?

Sine and cosine functions are closely related, as they are both derived from the unit circle. The sine function represents the y-coordinate of a point on the unit circle, while the cosine function represents the x-coordinate.

3. What is the period of a sine or cosine function?

The period of a sine or cosine function is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs on the graph. It is equal to 2π for both functions, meaning the graph repeats itself every 2π units.

4. How are sine and cosine functions used in real-life applications?

Sine and cosine functions are used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and navigation. They can be used to model periodic phenomena, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and oscillating systems.

5. What is the difference between sine and cosine functions?

The main difference between sine and cosine functions is their starting point on the unit circle. The sine function starts at the origin (0,0) while the cosine function starts at (1,0). This results in a phase shift of π/2 radians between the two functions.