How did Henrich Hertz measure UHF waves?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding how people in the past were able to measure high frequencies, specifically in relation to Maxwell's theory. The individual mentions downloading a book by Heinrich Hertz and speculates that their understanding of standing waves and the speed of light may have led to their ability to measure these frequencies. The provided link discusses a possible experiment used by Hertz.
DragonPetter
I've been reading about the history of the verification of maxwell's theory, and I'm a bit confused how people in those times could measure such high frequencies. I imagined they used instruments that were much more mechanical, and so I'm not sure how they could know or measure things that happen millions of times a second.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does anyone know anything about this? I downloaded his original book "Electric Waves" by Heinrich Hertz, but I haven't had time to go through it yet.

I just am curious how they could have concepts of millions of times a second or even thousands of times a second, when nothing in their world would be obvious that things happen that fast except qualitatively, and I know they did not have printers or oscilliscope screens to show graphs of things happening so fast.

I just have thought that if they can have a standing wave, or somehow measure the wavelength, and they have been able to approximate the speed of light, then it works out to having a very high frequency. Was it this simple that they measured wavelengths in meters and then combined that with their knowledge of general waves and the first experiments on the speed of light?

http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~jones/cscie129/nu_lectures/lecture6/hertz/Hertz_exp.html

I think this is the experiment he used.

1. How did Henrich Hertz discover UHF waves?

Henrich Hertz discovered UHF waves through a series of experiments in the late 1800s. He used a spark gap transmitter and a loop antenna to create and detect electromagnetic waves in the ultra high frequency range.

2. What equipment did Henrich Hertz use to measure UHF waves?

Hertz used a spark gap transmitter, a loop antenna, and a Leyden jar (a device for storing electrical energy) to measure UHF waves. He also used a spark gap detector to detect the waves.

3. How did Henrich Hertz measure the wavelength of UHF waves?

Hertz used a measuring device called a resonant circuit to determine the wavelength of UHF waves. This circuit consisted of two metal rods with a small gap between them, and he adjusted the distance between the rods until the circuit was in resonance with the UHF waves. The distance between the rods was then used to calculate the wavelength.

4. What was the significance of Henrich Hertz's experiments with UHF waves?

Hertz's experiments with UHF waves were significant because they provided strong evidence for the existence of electromagnetic waves. His discoveries also paved the way for the development of wireless communication technologies, including radio, television, and eventually, modern cell phones.

5. How did Henrich Hertz's work impact the field of science?

Hertz's work had a significant impact on the field of science, particularly in the study of electromagnetism. His experiments helped to confirm the existence of electromagnetic waves and their properties, which led to further research and advancements in the field. His work also laid the foundation for the development of various technologies that rely on electromagnetic waves, such as wireless communication, radar, and satellite communication.