How Did They Calculate Vo in the Circled Step?

In summary: But once you have io, you don't need to use Ohm's Law again to get Vo. You already have the voltage drop across the 10 Ω resistor. How does that help you find the total voltage across the load resistance?In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit and the steps taken to solve for the voltage across the load resistance. The circuit is simplified and the current through the 10 Ω resistor is calculated using current divider. This current is then used to find the voltage across the load resistor using Ohm's Law. However, it is noted that the voltage across the load resistor can also be found using the voltage drop across the 10 Ω resistor and its current.
sammyqw

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/ZKiCbbA http://imgur.com/a/ccGTV
ZKiCbbA.png

Could someone explain me what happened in the step that is circled in red please? I would appreciate it.
did they multiply i0x(iL)?

Homework Equations

they got iL by using iL=iL(initial)*e^-t/Tau . How did they get Vo? what formula did they use?

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imgur.com/a/wr1mQ[/B]
q4y6NXZ.png

http://imgur.com/q4y6NXZ
http://imgur.com/a/wr1mQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I got it. I did Current divider io= 40/40+10 (8e^-250t) . I got 6.4e^-250t Amps then using Ohms law with the 10ohm resistor I got 64e^-250t V can someone confirm it please?

and that 10ohm resistor in the far left should have the same voltage as the 40ohm resistor correct?

Your images are not visible. This will limit the responses from helpers who are browsing questions and can't be bothered to follow off-site links. It's a better practice to UPLOAD images so helpers don't have to follow links to see them.

I'll see if I can place copies of your images into your posts...

edit: ...done.

image.png
for some reason it wouldn't let me upload pictures from imgur. it works with postimg though :D I will use that method from now on.

sammyqw said:
and that 10ohm resistor in the far left should have the same voltage as the 40ohm resistor correct?
No, the inductor will have some potential difference across it as it attempts to drive current trough the circuit. So that PD plus the PD across the 10 Ω resistor will be the same as that across the 40 Ω resistor.

You'd be better off simplifying the circuit a bit before proceeding. When the switch commutates to position 2 it places the 4 Ω + 6 Ω series resistors in parallel with the 40 Ω resistor. So you're left with:
upload_2016-10-9_18-44-58.png

So, do with that what you will! :smile:

gneill said:
No, the inductor will have some potential difference across it as it attempts to drive current trough the circuit. So that PD plus the PD across the 10 Ω resistor will be the same as that across the 40 Ω resistor.

You'd be better off simplifying the circuit a bit before proceeding. When the switch commutates to position 2 it places the 4 Ω + 6 Ω series resistors in parallel with the 40 Ω resistor. So you're left with:
View attachment 107206

So, do with that what you will! :smile:
image.png
I was referring to these two circled resistors, don't they have the same voltage because they are in parallel? I found the io using current divider io=(40/50)(8e^-250t), then use that io to find vo with ohms law.

Yes they share the same potential difference. So your expression for the current through the 10 Ω resistance looks good.

sammyqw said:
image.png
I was referring to these two circled resistors, don't they have the same voltage because they are in parallel? I found the io using current divider io=(40/50)(8e^-250t), then use that io to find vo with ohms law.
You can do the current divider, then use one resistor and its current,
OR
you can use their total current and their combined resistance. Either way should give the same result.

Related to How Did They Calculate Vo in the Circled Step?

What happened in this step?

This is a common question when following a set of instructions or a scientific process. It is important to understand each step in order to successfully complete the task or experiment.

Why is this step necessary?

This question is often asked when a step seems redundant or does not make sense. It is important to understand the purpose of each step in order to fully understand the process and its intended outcome.

What are the potential consequences if this step is skipped?

In science, each step is carefully designed to contribute to the overall outcome. Skipping a step or not following it correctly can result in inaccurate results or even safety hazards. It is important to understand the potential consequences of skipping a step.

How does this step contribute to the overall process?

In order to fully understand the process or experiment, it is important to understand how each step plays a role in achieving the end goal. This question helps to connect each step and understand the bigger picture.

Are there any alternative methods for completing this step?

In science, there is often more than one way to achieve a certain outcome. This question may be asked to explore other options or to adapt the process to better fit the available resources. However, it is important to carefully consider any alternative methods and their potential impact on the overall process.