Solve Driven RL Circuit: Understand KCL & Initial Current

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a driven RL circuit and the different approaches used to solve it. The first approach uses KCL and leads to an incorrect answer, while the second approach correctly considers the polarities of the battery connections. The main question is why the initial current is 30 A instead of being determined by KCL. The answer provided is that for an inductor, the current at 0+ is equal to the current at 0━.
dwn

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

KCL
DRIVEN RL CIRCUIT

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the right answer after trying a different tactic, but I don't understand why it is done this way.

My first approach:

KCL: 100/45 + 60/2 = iL for t < 0

32.22 - (100/45)e^(-45*(0.00001)/0.5) = 29.999 A (NOT THE RIGHT ANSWER)

Second approach:

30 - (100/45)e^(-45*(0.00001)/0.5) = 27.78 A

Why is the initial current 30 A? I know how they got it, but why didn't they use KCL? I mean what is happening to the 100 V source?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 11.01.28 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 11.01.28 PM.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
dwn said:
My first approach:

KCL: 100/45 + 60/2 = iL for t < 0
In forming this equation, have you taken into account the polarities of the battery connections?

In any case, you are making too much out of this question. For an inductor, in the absence of sparks http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon10.gif current at 0+ = current at 0.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a solve driven RL circuit?

A solve driven RL circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both resistive (R) and inductive (L) elements. In this type of circuit, the goal is to solve for the current at a given time using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and the initial current value.

2. How does KCL apply to solve driven RL circuits?

Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) states that the sum of currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. In solve driven RL circuits, KCL is used to determine the current at a given time by setting up equations based on the circuit components and solving for the unknown current.

3. What is the role of initial current in solve driven RL circuits?

The initial current is the current that flows through the inductor at the beginning of the circuit. It is an important factor in solving for the current at a given time, as it affects the rate at which the current changes in the circuit.

4. What are the steps to solve a solve driven RL circuit using KCL and initial current?

The first step is to draw the circuit and label all the components. Then, using KCL, set up equations at each node in the circuit. Next, use the initial current value to solve for the unknown current. Finally, confirm the solution by checking that the sum of currents at each node is equal.

5. Are there any limitations to using KCL and initial current to solve RL circuits?

Yes, KCL and initial current can only be used to solve for the current at a given time in simple RL circuits. More complex circuits, such as those with multiple inductors or capacitors, may require different methods of analysis. Additionally, KCL assumes ideal circuit conditions and may not be accurate in real-world situations.