Solving Worked Problems: Understanding How to Get the Answer | Help Needed!

In summary, this person is trying to solve a worked problem, but is having trouble because of forum rules.
Jacob T Anderson
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
This is a worked problem, so they're just basically giving examples on how you would solve this type of problem. My issue is... how did they get 2.86s? Please someone help this has been driving me crazy.

Attachments

• 459.jpg
    459.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 367
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Jacob. Can you rearrange the equation so that it has just t on one side?

Bandersnatch said:
Hi, Jacob. Can you rearrange the equation so that it has just t on one side?
It mentions about rearranging the equation but I don't think it shows you. Do you know what it would look like if it was rearranged? If so please show me.

The forum rules prohibit us from giving you the answer. You have to show your work.

If you're working from this textbook, you should already know how to rearrange algebraic equations.
The equation is
$$40=0+\frac{1}{2}9.8*t^2$$
How would you move all the numerical values to the left?

Jacob T Anderson said:
It mentions about rearranging the equation but I don't think it shows you. Do you know what it would look like if it was rearranged? If so please show me.

No, we cannot do that; it is contrary to the PF rules. You MUST attempt to solve the problem first, and show your work.

Bandersnatch said:
The forum rules prohibit us from giving you the answer. You have to show your work.

If you're working from this textbook, you should already know how to rearrange algebraic equations.
The equation is
$$40=0+\frac{1}{2}9.8*t^2$$
How would you move all the numerical values to the left?
Wouldn't you just 0.5 * 9.81 + 0 = 4.905t2. Then that would give you 40 = 4.905t2

Jacob T Anderson said:
Wouldn't you just 0.5 * 9.81 + 0 = 4.905t2. Then that would give you 40 = 4.905t2
But that still doesn't make sense because when you divide afterwards it still doesn't give you the answer.

Jacob T Anderson said:
This is not algebraically correct.

The rule is this:
Let's say you have an equation with four variables or constants: a,b,c,d or the form:
$$a*b=c*d$$
if you want to find d, you must eliminate everything but d from one side of the equation. This can be done by dividing both sides by the same value. Since we want to get rid of c on the right hand side, we can divide both sides by c:
$$\frac{a*b}{c}=\frac{c*d}{c}$$
##\frac{c}{c} = 1##, so we end up with:
$$\frac{a*b}{c}=d$$

Can you apply the same transformation to the equation given in the problem?

40=4.905t2 is correct and if you keep going it does give you the right answer.

Show your working so we can see where you are going wrong.

Likes Bandersnatch
@Jacob T Anderson CWattters is right. I missed what you did there. (it's just not how you write it out correctly)

I still don't understand what do I do next? I tried dividing both sides by 4.905 and get t = 8.15, then I square rooting 4.905 which gives me 24.05 then tried dividing both of them again but this time with 24.05 which gave me t = 1.66. I feel retarded

Jacob T Anderson said:
I tried dividing both sides by 4.905 and get t = 8.15
Show your work.

I got 8.15 not 8.13 oops

Attachments

• 461.jpg
    461.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 340
Sorry about the picture

It's all good until the very last step, where you wrote t=8.13. What happened to the ##t^2## you had in the previous step?

I got it! I forgot about the Quadratic Formula, thanks guys for the help.

Attachments

• 463.jpg
    463.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 378
Jacob T Anderson said:
I got it! I forgot about the Quadratic Formula
Simpler than that. Take the square root of both sides.

Likes CWatters
+1 No need to use the quadratic equation.

1. What is the first step in solving a worked problem?

The first step in solving a worked problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. This includes identifying the given information, what is being asked, and any relevant equations or concepts.

2. How do I set up and organize my work when solving a problem?

It is important to clearly label and organize your work when solving a problem. This includes writing down all given information, identifying known and unknown variables, and showing all steps of your calculations. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or use tables to visually represent the problem.

3. How do I choose the appropriate formula or method to use in solving a problem?

Choosing the appropriate formula or method to use in solving a problem depends on the given information and what is being asked. It is important to understand the concepts and equations related to the problem and select the most relevant one.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on a step or cannot get the correct answer?

If you are stuck on a step or cannot get the correct answer, it is important to double check your work and make sure all calculations are correct. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or seeking help from a teacher or classmate.

5. How do I know if my answer is reasonable and makes sense?

To determine if your answer is reasonable and makes sense, you can check the units of your final answer to make sure they are in the correct form. You can also estimate the answer to see if it is in the same range as your calculated answer. Additionally, you can use common sense and logic to determine if the answer aligns with the given information and the context of the problem.