Understanding Isothermal Work: Solving the Gas Compression Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which the correct answer is 74 K. The asker is seeking guidance on how to arrive at this answer and mentions that chat GPT gave a different answer. The responders suggest using the ideal gas law and possibly a formula for isothermal work. The asker mentions that their course only covers algebra and not calculus, and eventually realizes that the work integral in terms of differential volume is needed to solve the problem.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
please see below
Relevant Equations
PV = nRT
For this problem,
1680050652434.png

dose anybody please give me guidance how they got 74 K as the answer? Note that chat GPT dose not give the correct answer (it gives the temperature of the gas is 1500 K).

Many Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a homework problem. You know the rules. Please show some work. I would also suggest that you look at the chat GPT answer and see whether there is anything you can use.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
This is a homework problem. You know the rules. Please show some work. I would also suggest that you look at the chat GPT answer and see whether there is anything you can use.
Thank you for your reply @kuruman!

Since this is an ideal gas, I though I could you the ideal gas law. So as far as I got was setting the temperatures equal ##\frac{P_iV_i}{nR} = \frac{P_fV_i}{5nR}## which gave ##5P_i = P_f##.

Many thanks!

If you use calculus in your course, then your professor or textbook has probably derived a formula for the work associated with a quasi-static, isothermal expansion/compression of an ideal gas.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
TSny said:
If you use calculus in your course, then your professor or textbook has probably derived a formula for the work associated with a quasi-static, isothermal expansion/compression of an ideal gas.
Thank you for your reply @TSny!

No sorry, this course is algebras based. We did not do the calculus parts and alot of the thermo so stuff it not really making sense very much.

Many thanks!

TSny said:
Its an intro physics course so we cover dimensional analysis then thermo, and eventually mechanics and waves.

Nevermind, I think I really overthought this simple problem. Sorry.

Callumnc1 said:
Its an intro physics course so we cover dimensional analysis then thermo, and eventually mechanics and waves.
Ok. I wonder if the formula for isothermal work was given to you without a derivation. I don't see how to work the problem without this formula.

Likes Chestermiller and ChiralSuperfields
TSny said:
Ok. I wonder if the formula for isothermal work was given to you without a derivation. I don't see how to work the problem without this formula.
Thank you for your reply @TSny! Yeah, the only way I now realize that this problem to be solved is if we assume pressure it not constant, which then I have to use the work integral in terms of differential volume which was not shown in class. We were only shown ##W = P(V_2 - V_1)## which I now know assumes the special case where the pressure is constant.

Likes TSny

1. What is work done to compress gas?

Work done to compress gas is the amount of energy required to decrease the volume of a gas. It is a measure of the force applied to compress the gas and the distance over which the force is applied.

2. How is work done to compress gas calculated?

The work done to compress gas is calculated using the formula W = PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the pressure applied, and ΔV is the change in volume of the gas.

3. What are the units of work done to compress gas?

The units of work done to compress gas are joules (J) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the English system.

4. How does work done to compress gas affect the temperature of the gas?

When work is done to compress gas, the temperature of the gas increases. This is because the energy used to compress the gas is converted into heat energy, causing the gas molecules to move faster and increase the temperature.

5. What factors affect the work done to compress gas?

The work done to compress gas is affected by the initial and final volume of the gas, the pressure applied, and the type of gas being compressed. The work done also depends on the efficiency of the compression process.