How Do Different Wavelengths Overlap in Double-Slit Interference?

In summary, when both light sources are shone on the slits at the same time, the bright fringes from the two light sources will occur at different locations on the screen.
LegendLen

Homework Statement

In a double-slit interference experiment the slit separation is 8.40 x 10-6 m and the slits are 2.80 m from the screen. Each slit has a width of 1.20 x 10-6 m.

2 lights of wavelength 450nm and 600nm are shone on the same slits.

If both of the above light sources are shined on the slits at the same time, which order bright fringes from the two light sources would occur at the same locations on the screen? Include the orders of all possible fringes that would overlap.

Homework Equations

dsin
img32.gif
= m
img7.gif

dsin
img32.gif
= (m +0.5)
img7.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so this is part of a multi-part assignment. Using the equations above I've determined "how far (in meters) from the center of the interference pattern on the screen will the third order (m = 3)" be for the bright (450) and dark (600) fringes separately. The next part of the question asks about shining them at the same time and about bright fringe orders.

My guess was to set both equations equal to each other without m and having both dsin
img32.gif
cancel out leaving m
img7.gif
= (m + 0.5)
img7.gif
and calculating for the order, but I realize this will only give me potentially one answer so I feel like my methods are incorrect.

Could someone give me some guidance about how to approach this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you using the equation with ##m+0.5## in it? Does it even apply to this problem? Don't you also need to keep track of the wavelengths? You seem to be using ##\lambda## to represent both at the same time.

I agree with Vela, where does this 0.5 come from?
The question is: what is the value of n for which a fringe due to (λ1) will coincide with that a fringe of λ2). The first occurrence will occur when one of the wavelength has created an extra fringe compared to the other... (So a difference in fringe order of 1...). Rewrite your equation taking this into account, and find the value of n that will satisfy such condition.
"I realize this will only give me potentially one answer...". You can also explore the case where the difference of order is more than 1, and see if such solution is possible by checking that sin([PLAIN]http://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/physics/light/img32.gif) remains <1

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Do Different Wavelengths Overlap in Double-Slit Interference?

1. What is "Double-Slit Interference"?

Double-slit interference is a phenomenon in which a wave, such as light, passing through two parallel slits creates an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits. This pattern is a result of the two waves from the two slits interfering with each other constructively and destructively.

2. What is the significance of "Double-Slit Interference" in physics?

Double-slit interference is a fundamental concept in physics that demonstrates the wave-like behavior of light and other waves. It also plays a crucial role in the understanding of quantum mechanics and the dual nature of particles as both waves and particles.

3. How does the distance between the slits affect the interference pattern?

The distance between the slits, also known as the slit spacing, is directly related to the spacing of the interference fringes on the screen. A smaller slit spacing results in a wider fringe spacing, while a larger slit spacing results in a narrower fringe spacing.

4. What happens if only one slit is open in the double-slit experiment?

If only one slit is open in the double-slit experiment, the interference pattern disappears, and a single-slit diffraction pattern is observed. This is because there is only one source of the wave, so there is no interference between two waves.

5. Can double-slit interference occur with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, double-slit interference can occur with any type of wave, such as sound waves, water waves, and even matter waves. This phenomenon is a result of the wave nature of particles and is not limited to just light waves.