How Do Electric Fields Behave at the Center of a Charged Triangle?

In summary, the problem involves three charged rods forming an equilateral triangle with two rods having a charge of +10 nC and one having a charge of -10 nC. The question is asking for the electric field strength at the center of the triangle, which is calculated using the formula Q/(4*pi*e_0*r*sqrt(r^2 + (L/2)^2)), where e_0 is 8.85*10^-12. The correct answer is 1.08 * 10^5 N/C. The error in the calculations was due to not considering the vertical and horizontal components of the electric fields from each rod.
beatbama85
Here's my problem:

Three 10-cm-long rods form an equilateral triangle. Two of the rods are charged to + 10 nC, the third to -10 nC. What is the electric field strength at the center of the triangle?

Answer in back of book: 1.08 * 10^5 N/C

By looking at the corresponding section, it gives the formula for the electric field strength in the plane that bisects a charged rod as:
Q/(4*pi*e_0*r*sqrt(r^2 + (L/2)^2)),
where e_0 is given to be 8.85*10^-12.

I thought that you would add the vertical and horizontal components of the 3 electric fields in the center due to each rod to get the net electric field. After some calculations, I get that the final answer should be 2 times the formula I gave above, but this does not give me the correct answer. What am I doing wrong? Please respond, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I got it.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your problem with me. It seems like you have a good understanding of the formula for electric field strength in the plane that bisects a charged rod. However, in this case, we are dealing with three charged rods forming an equilateral triangle. This means that the distance from the center to any of the charged rods is not just r, but r*sqrt(3). This is because the center of the triangle forms a right triangle with one of the charged rods, and the hypotenuse of that triangle is r*sqrt(3).

So, the formula for the electric field strength at the center of the triangle would be:
Q/(4*pi*e_0*r*sqrt(3)*sqrt(r^2 + (L/2)^2))

Also, since two of the rods are positively charged and one is negatively charged, the net electric field at the center would be the sum of the electric fields due to each rod. This means that the final answer should be:
2*Q/(4*pi*e_0*r*sqrt(3)*sqrt(r^2 + (L/2)^2))

I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Keep up the good work!

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where electrically charged particles experience a force. It is created by electric charges and can be represented by electric field lines that show the direction and strength of the field.

What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field is a vector quantity that represents the force per unit charge at a given point in space, while electric potential is a scalar quantity that represents the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space. In other words, the electric field describes the strength and direction of the force, while the electric potential describes the energy associated with that force.

How are electric fields and rods related?

Electric fields and rods are related through the concept of charge. An electric field is created by electric charges, and rods can be charged to create an electric field. Additionally, electric fields can exert forces on rods, causing them to move or experience a torque.

What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is affected by the magnitude and distance of the electric charges creating the field. The farther away the charges are, the weaker the field will be. Additionally, the type of material between the charges can also affect the strength of the field.

How can electric fields be used in everyday life?

Electric fields have a wide range of applications in everyday life. They are used in electronic devices, such as cell phones and computers, to transport and control electric charges. Electric fields are also used in medical equipment, such as MRI machines, to image the human body. They are also used in power lines to transport electricity to homes and businesses.