How do I calculate the cross section for W+W->gamma>l+ l- at the tree level?

In summary, calculating the cross section for W+W->gamma>l+ l- at the tree level involves using Feynman rules to write down the amplitude for the process and then calculating the square of the amplitude, taking into account the polarization of the particles involved.
Elea95
TL;DR Summary
I need somone who helps me with the following cross section calculation
Can anyone help me about cross section calculation of W+W->gamma>l+ l- (leptons), at the tree level? I am stuck to writing amplitude,after written Feynman rules, because of massive vector boson polarization states. How should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
The calculation of the cross section for W+W->gamma>l+ l- at the tree level is quite involved, but can be done using the Feynman rules for the interaction of a photon with two massive vector bosons. The first thing you need to do is calculate the matrix element for the process. This can be done by writing down an expression for the amplitude for the process and then calculating the square of the amplitude. The expression for the amplitude will depend on the polarization of the photons and vector bosons involved in the process, so you need to take this into account when writing down your expression. Once you have the matrix element for the process, you can use it to calculate the cross section for the process.

1. What is the purpose of calculating the WW cross section?

The WW cross section calculation is used to determine the likelihood of a specific interaction between two particles, W bosons, occurring in a given collision. This helps researchers understand the fundamental properties of these particles and their interactions, which can provide insights into the nature of the universe.

2. How is the WW cross section calculated?

The WW cross section is calculated using the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. This involves complex mathematical equations and simulations that take into account various factors such as the energy and momentum of the colliding particles.

3. What is the significance of the WW cross section in particle physics?

The WW cross section is an important measurement in particle physics as it helps validate the predictions of the Standard Model and can also provide evidence for new physics beyond the current understanding. It also allows for the comparison of experimental results with theoretical calculations, helping to refine our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

4. What factors can affect the WW cross section?

The WW cross section can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as the energy of the colliding particles, the type of particles involved, and the experimental conditions. These factors can impact the accuracy of the calculation and may need to be taken into account when interpreting the results.

5. How do scientists use the WW cross section in their research?

The WW cross section is used by scientists in a variety of ways, such as testing the predictions of the Standard Model, searching for new particles or interactions, and studying the properties of the W boson. It is also an important parameter in the design and analysis of experiments at particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider.