How Do I Calculate Transfer Function from Input and Output Voltage?

In summary: No worries. Thanks for the diagram.In summary, Suiluas is asking for advice on how to find the transfer function of a system, but is not aware of the necessary steps to take. He suggests starting with impedances in the frequency domain.
Suiluas
Hi guys, I'm new to this engineering problem solving and I just wanted to ask for your help getting a transfer function of the input voltage Uin(t) and the output voltage Uout(t).1. Uin(t) = U_R(t) + u_out(t)
2. i(t) = i_L(t) + i_C(t)
3. u_r(t) = R_i(t)
4. u_out(t) = L d_iL / dt
5. i_C = C d_uout / dt3. The attempt:

Dv_c(t) / dt = 1/C i_c(t) = [ 1/C (i(t) - i_out(t) ] = - 1/RC_vc(t) + 1/C i (t)
Di(t) / dt = 1/L v_L(t) = 1/L...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suiluas said:
Hi guys, I'm new to this engineering problem solving and I just wanted to ask for your help getting a transfer function of the input voltage Uin(t) and the output voltage Uout(t).1. Uin(t) = U_R(t) + u_out(t)
2. i(t) = i_L(t) + i_C(t)
3. u_r(t) = R_i(t)
4. u_out(t) = L d_iL / dt
5. i_C = C d_uout / dt3. The attempt:

Dv_c(t) / dt = 1/C i_c(t) = [ 1/C (i(t) - i_out(t) ] = - 1/RC_vc(t) + 1/C i (t)
Di(t) / dt = 1/L v_L(t) = 1/L...
Welcome to the PF.

Is there a circuit diagram that you could UPLOAD for us to look at. For me, it's hard to visualize the problem. Thanks :smile:

Sure, attached is the circuit. :) http://postimg.org/image/7a4mj5c6b/

<< Link removed by Mentor >>

Suiluas said:
Sure, attached is the circuit. :) http://postimg.org/image/7a4mj5c6b/

<< Link removed by Mentor >>
Could you instead please use the UPLOAD button at the lower right to upload your image to the PF? The website you have linked to has some questionable advertisements on it. Thanks. :smile:

Sorry for that, here is the picture of the system.

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    6.8 KB · Views: 370
Suiluas said:
Sorry for that, here is the picture of the system.
No worries. Thanks for the diagram.

I'm not able to follow what you are doing with your equations, but it seems like you are working with each component individually (I could be wrong). Instead, I would write the one KCL equation for the node between the input resistor and the RLC load. Write that differential equation and solve for the currents and voltages. Can you give that approach a try? :smile:

Likes Suiluas
berkeman said:
No worries. Thanks for the diagram.

I'm not able to follow what you are doing with your equations, but it seems like you are working with each component individually (I could be wrong). Instead, I would write the one KCL equation for the node between the input resistor and the RLC load. Write that differential equation and solve for the currents and voltages. Can you give that approach a try? :smile:
I will try, but it's not as easy for me. anyways, thanks for advice.

Likes berkeman
Suiluas - are you aware that a system`s "transfer function" requires to find voltage-current relations in the frequency domain?
You have started in the time domain - this is not necessary and requires application of the Laplace transformation. Instead, you can start directly with impedances in the frequency domain
Examples: inductice impedance: ZL=jωL, capcitive impedance: ZC=1/jωC.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

Related to How Do I Calculate Transfer Function from Input and Output Voltage?

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes how the system responds to different inputs, and is commonly used in control systems and signal processing.

2. Why do I need a transfer function?

A transfer function is needed to understand and analyze the behavior of a system. It allows you to predict how the system will respond to different inputs, and helps in designing and optimizing the system for desired performance.

3. How do I determine the transfer function of a system?

The transfer function can be determined through mathematical modeling, experimental data, or a combination of both. It involves identifying the input and output variables, and then using mathematical techniques such as Laplace transforms or frequency response analysis to derive the transfer function.

4. What are the key components of a transfer function?

A transfer function typically consists of a numerator and denominator, where the numerator represents the output of the system and the denominator represents the input. It may also include parameters such as time delays, damping factors, and gain, depending on the complexity of the system.

5. Can a transfer function change over time?

Yes, a transfer function can change over time if the system is dynamic or if there are external factors that can affect the system's behavior. It is important to regularly check and update the transfer function to ensure accurate predictions and performance of the system.