How do I determine the maximum distance, that the ball moves upward, and the time for

In summary, the equation for calculating the force of air resistance is Fd = ½ * density * velocity^2 * drag coefficient * cross sectional area. To determine the maximum distance and time for the upward trip of a ball with air resistance, you can use the equation for net force (mg - Fd) and the equation for acceleration (a=dv/dt) to integrate and solve for the values.
R Morrison

Homework Statement

I want to learn how to solve problems with air resistance.
The equation is shown at the website below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics )

Example:
A 0.5 kg ball is thrown upward at 25 m/s. The density of the air = 1.3 kg/m^3. The drag coefficient = 0.8. Cross sectional area = 0.05 m^2

Fd = ½ * 1.3 * v^2 * 0.8 * 0.05
Fd = 0.026 * v^2
How do I determine the maximum distance, that the ball moves upward, and the time for the upward trip?

Homework Equations

Fd = ½ * density * velocity^2 * drag coefficient * Cross sectional area

The Attempt at a Solution

Fd = ½ * density * velocity^2 * drag coefficient * Cross sectional area
Fd = ½ * 1.3 * v^2 * 0.8 * 0.05
Fd = 0.026 * v^2

Net force = m * g – Force of air resistance
Net force = (0.5 * 9.8) – 0.026 * v^2
Net acceleration = Net force ÷ mass
Net acceleration = 9.8 – 0.052 * v^2

How do I determine the maximum distance, that the ball moves upward, and the time for the upward trip

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

What does edit tags meam?

First, mg is acting against the initial motion of the ball, so it should be negative. From that it may be a good place to start to solve for the initial net acceleration of the ball. Then remember that a=dv/dt

Related to How do I determine the maximum distance, that the ball moves upward, and the time for

1. How do I calculate the maximum distance a ball moves upward?

To determine the maximum distance a ball moves upward, you will need to use the kinematic equations for projectile motion. These equations take into account the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time. By plugging in the values for these variables, you can solve for the maximum height reached by the ball.

2. What is the formula for calculating the maximum height of a ball?

The formula for calculating the maximum height of a ball is h = (v02sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the angle of projection affect the maximum distance of a ball?

The angle of projection has a significant impact on the maximum distance of a ball. The higher the angle, the further the ball will travel. This is because a higher angle results in a longer time of flight and a longer distance covered in the horizontal direction.

4. Can the maximum distance of a ball be greater than the maximum height?

Yes, the maximum distance of a ball can be greater than the maximum height. This is because the maximum height only considers the vertical distance traveled, while the maximum distance takes into account both the vertical and horizontal distances traveled.

5. How do I calculate the time it takes for a ball to reach its maximum height?

The time it takes for a ball to reach its maximum height can be calculated using the formula t = v0sinθ/g, where t is the time, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the ball is projected from ground level.