How do i do this question? I get the reverse

• Thread starter link2110
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reverse
In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative dy/dx for the given equation yx2+ xy2=7. One approach suggested is to use the product rule and then simplify the equation to get the derivative. Another approach is to use implicit differentiation and solve for dy/dx. The final answer is (-y2+2xy)/(x2+2xy).
link2110

Homework Statement

find dy/dx
yx2+ xy2=7

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

xy(x+y)=7
2xy=(x+y) (x+y) = 7
2xy + x2+2xy +y2=0
2xy + dx/dy(x2+2xy+y2)=0
2xy +x2+dy/dx 2xy + dy/dx y2
dy/dx = (-2xy-x2)/(2xy + y2)

The answer is actually (-y2+2xy)/(x2+2xy)

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong/how to swap the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
don't factor out xy, and just use product rule, and then 7 is just zero and go from there... i seriously think you are making it harder than it should be.

x2y + xy2=7
[x2 + 2xy] + [2yx + y2] = 0

So that's what i get to, but where do i distribute d/dx into?

Naw dude... its [x2dy/dx + 2xy] + [2y(dy/dx)x + y2] = 0

then subtract the non dy/dx values and then factor out dy/dx and you are done!

Last edited:
so for [x2dy/dx + 2xy]
why is the dy/dx on the first term?

because it is the d/dx for y is just dy/dx... which is just the derivative for y in terms of x... its an implicit derivative (ie not expressed directly in terms of the independent variable)

so y3 = 3y2(dy/dx)

oh i get it now, thanks!

1. How do I approach a question that seems to be the reverse of what I am used to?

When faced with a question that seems to be the reverse of what you are used to, it is important to start by understanding the key concepts and principles involved. Once you have a clear understanding of the underlying concepts, you can then approach the question by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This will help you to identify any similarities to questions you are familiar with and guide you in finding the appropriate approach to solve the question.

2. What steps should I take to solve a question that is the reverse of what I am used to?

The first step to solving a question that is the reverse of what you are used to is to identify the key concepts and principles involved. Next, break down the question into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, consider any similarities to questions you are familiar with and determine the appropriate approach to solve the question. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or mentor who can provide additional insight and support.

3. What strategies can I use to tackle a question that is the reverse of what I am used to?

One strategy that can be helpful when tackling a question that is the reverse of what you are used to is to work backwards from the solution. Start by identifying the desired outcome and then work backwards to determine the steps needed to reach that outcome. Additionally, try to relate the question to other similar questions you have encountered in the past and use any relevant formulas or principles to guide your approach.

4. How can I improve my ability to solve questions that are the reverse of what I am used to?

Improving your ability to solve questions that are the reverse of what you are used to takes practice and perseverance. It is important to regularly review and understand key principles and concepts in your field of study. Additionally, actively seeking out and practicing with different types of questions can help to expand your problem-solving skills. Don't be afraid to seek guidance and support from your peers or teachers when facing challenging questions.

5. What should I do if I am struggling to solve a question that is the reverse of what I am used to?

If you are struggling to solve a question that is the reverse of what you are used to, it is important to remain calm and focused. Take a step back and review the question and any relevant concepts. If needed, seek guidance from a teacher or mentor who can provide additional support and help you to identify any errors in your approach. Remember to stay persistent and keep practicing, as this will help to improve your problem-solving skills over time.