How do i learn math and physics from the ground up?

In summary: Math is a subject which needs a strong foundation, but you don't seem to have had one. I am guessing that your parents have been supportive in other ways, like correcting you when you make mistakes, and providing examples and explanations. It might be worth considering seeking out help from a tutor or from a resource like a book that has step-by-step examples, or a video tutorial.
Nihal Jalal
I know there is a lot of questions like this in this community but I need a personalized answer. I am 15 years old. I've always loved physics and always asks questions. My wish for learning physics dates back to 2016. Yeah that's right, I've spend two years just looking for the right resources. Another fact about me is that i love programming too. I started by learning math on April(i am considering the date just to be more specific) but i eventually stopped learning after a month or so coz i got stuck and no was there to help , i didn't like math then(i love it now) then i tried to learn programming but stopped because of similar reasons.

This cycle repeated again and consumed a year. When my school closed for summer vacations previous year i started to learn Python(after a month long research on which language to study), this time i had help. I continued and enjoyed doing so but i had to stop it because of my school studies and my parents wanted me to concentrate more on it(I've straight A's but that wasn't enough for them).

Another reason i was reluctant going back to physics was that i wasn't that good at math and to be honest i hated it, i thought it wasn't useful and no one was there to correct me. Another fact about me is that i am pretty much self -taught from Preschool itself other than going to school i didn't have any help in my studies from my parents or anyone. Math is a subject which need a strong foundation but i didn't have it and the teaching style in my school never appealed to me. I never read textbooks and appeared on exam by just learning it by heart. If you go to my math stack exchange profile you can see my question on how to get better at math that was just three month ago. I don't know if you would believe this(i had a hard time believing it) I've made big progress at math recently and i will continue to get better. All it took was a simple change in my mindset. I watched so many videos based on math like how is it the way it is and why does it make sense. I love math now and i think if i am going to start leaning math and physics now, i am going to reach my destination.

So let me get to the sole purpose of this question. It would really mean a lot if you guys gave me the right resources and what to learn and how to get from basic to advanced. I know i am asking a little much but if you only know how desperate i am having these ideas and not able to express or validate it. I want to know which topic should i study and the right resource for it(Books,videos,lectures, anything) I prefer books as it gives you the advantage of going beyond the borders and thinking about something in it whereas videos are pre-made and you are sticked to what the teach but videos are really helpful in many cases. Finally, I am completely aware that i am asking for a huge favor but I've nowhere else to ask. It would be really great if you created a map sort of thing.:)

P.S : Feel free to edit this, i am not much of a writer

Physics news on Phys.org
Nihal Jalal said:
I know there is a lot of questions like this in this community but I need a personalized answer. I am 15 years old.
Honestly, very little you said after this matters and doesn't take a personalized answer. 15 is about the right starting age for learning physics and more advanced math in school; so take all you can for the next 2-3 years, then if you want, continue in college.

It feels like you are impatient, which is great because it means you are motivated. But it can also cause you to flounder if you start and stop because of it.

Last edited:
Does your school have a Math Club or a Physics Club? Getting together with others who are motivated like you to learn STEM can be a big help and motivator.

Does your school participate in a Science Fair (with student projects) each year? If so, consider thinking of ideas of an entry for the Fair, and work on the experiments and write-up. That can be another big motivator to learn more and enjoy it while you are doing it. :smile:

Likes Klystron
This will be a bit easier to answer if we know where you are located. Since you indicate that you have been able to do exams by "learning it by heart," I guess I am a bit puzzled on how this is possible. Are you talking about theorems and such? And I can't imagine any curriculum in the US at least where you can do math by rote memorization. Are you in India perhaps?

Scrumhalf said:
This will be a bit easier to answer if we know where you are located. Since you indicate that you have been able to do exams by "learning it by heart," I guess I am a bit puzzled on how this is possible. Are you talking about theorems and such? And I can't imagine any curriculum in the US at least where you can do math by rote memorization. Are you in India perhaps?
Yeah I'm from India and by learning by heart I mean not understanding the concept and only learning what I was given.

berkeman said:
Does your school have a Math Club or a Physics Club? Getting together with others who are motivated like you to learn STEM can be a big help and motivator.

Does your school participate in a Science Fair (with student projects) each year? If so, consider thinking of ideas of an entry for the Fair, and work on the experiments and write-up. That can be another big motivator to learn more and enjoy it while you are doing it. :smile:
There's no such thing in my school or locality but I've participated in many science fairs

Nihal Jalal said:
Yeah I'm from India and by learning by heart I mean not understanding the concept and only learning what I was given.
?
Learning or not learning?
Learn by heart? Memorizing is not learning. Study for UNDERSTANDING.

Do you have the opportunity to attend a school and be there laboratory exercises?

symbolipoint said:
?
Learning or not learning?
Learn by heart? Memorizing is not learning. Study for UNDERSTANDING.

Do you have the opportunity to attend a school and be there laboratory exercises?
I used to memorise but not anymore

Here's my math order that I did in school.

Algebra 1
Geometry
Algebra 2
Trigonometry
Calculus 1
Calculus 2
Calculus 3
Linear Algebra
Differential Equations

Take a look at coursera, a website that has a bunch of free online classes.

Likes Vatsal Goyal
Nihal Jalal said:
I am 15 years old. I've always loved physics and always asks questions. My wish for learning physics dates back to 2016.
Hey Nihal, I am from India too so I thought I might be able to help you. In which class are you right now?

Vatsal Goyal said:
Hey Nihal, I am from India too so I thought I might be able to help you. In which class are you right now?
Hai Vatsala, I'm studying in 10th right now and preparing for my board exams

Love for a subject is a great thing.

I can't give you personalized recommendations because your are not here with me. But you can try this:

1.Try to learn the subject, don't memorise equations/definitions.
2.Use good books (especially Olympiad oriented, refer foreign authors) I can give you one. AP French's is a good read on Newtonian Mechanics. Don't restrict yourself to everyday problems/textbook questions. Use google, solve questions from international olymiad/universities. Solve as many problems you can.
3.Maths is essential for Physics so is Chemistry. Learn every portion the same way.
4.If you are stuck on a problem show it to your teacher/consult a solution manual but only after trying it hard. Most books habe solutions. Post the problems/areas you are stuck online.
5. Participate in olympiads.
6. Don't concentrate on your future just enjoy the present study.
7.Try to think like a physicist. Inquire about everhthing. Use graphs/pictures/model.

Programming is certainly an edge but you will not be needing it until undergrad. Do it in your spare time only. Python language is used for Wolfram/Matlab.

1. How do I get started learning math and physics from the ground up?

The first step to learning math and physics from the ground up is to familiarize yourself with the fundamentals. This includes understanding basic algebra, geometry, and trigonometry for math, and concepts like motion, force, and energy for physics. You can start by reviewing these concepts in textbooks or online resources.

2. Do I need any prior knowledge to learn math and physics from the ground up?

No, you do not need any prior knowledge to start learning math and physics from the ground up. However, having a basic understanding of arithmetic and geometry can make the learning process easier.

3. How can I practice and apply what I learn in math and physics?

Practicing and applying what you learn is crucial for understanding and retaining concepts in math and physics. You can solve practice problems, work on real-world applications, and participate in hands-on experiments to reinforce your knowledge.

4. Are there any online resources or tools that can help me learn math and physics?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available to help you learn math and physics. These include online courses, video tutorials, interactive simulations, and educational games. You can also join online communities or forums to connect with other learners and ask for help.

5. How long does it take to learn math and physics from the ground up?

The time it takes to learn math and physics from the ground up varies for each individual. It depends on your learning style, dedication, and the complexity of the topics you are studying. With consistent practice and effort, you can make steady progress and gain a solid understanding in a few months to a year.