How do i plot 2D steady state temp in maple?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to plot the steady state temperature distribution of a square flat sheet in maple. The individual has solved the initial partial differential equation and ended up with a function generalized as T(x,y) =(constants)*sum(stuff), which is a Fourier series representing how the temperature flows through the sheet. They are looking for help in choosing the right plot, commands, and calls to set up the initial boundary conditions and plot the temperature distribution. The conversation also includes troubleshooting steps for syntax errors and provides a successful example of plotting the temperature distribution using a given formula and value for S.
bossman007
Hi all, I am wondering how I plot the steady state temperature distribution of a square flat sheet in maple. I solved the initial partial differential equation I was given and ended up with a function generalized as

T(x,y) =(constants)*sum(stuff).

Which is a Fourier series representing how the temperature flows through my sheet. Only one side of the square sheet is being heated so I have a general idea of how the graph should look, but I'm a maple newbie and wondering if from this explanation if anyone can be a help and provide a template helping me choose the right plot to pick, the commands and calls and how to set up my initial boundary conditions

T(x,0)= 0
T(S,y)=0
T(0,y)=0

T(x,S)=T_0 <==this is the edge being heated

If anyone wants more information please let me know! Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
bossman007 said:
Hi all, I am wondering how I plot the steady state temperature distribution of a square flat sheet in maple. I solved the initial partial differential equation I was given and ended up with a function generalized as

T(x,y) =(constants)*sum(stuff).

Which is a Fourier series representing how the temperature flows through my sheet. Only one side of the square sheet is being heated so I have a general idea of how the graph should look, but I'm a maple newbie and wondering if from this explanation if anyone can be a help and provide a template helping me choose the right plot to pick, the commands and calls and how to set up my initial boundary conditions

T(x,0)= 0
T(S,y)=0
T(0,y)=0

T(x,S)=T_0 <==this is the edge being heated If anyone wants more information please let me know! Many thanks

S:=some value; (you can't leave it as a variable to plot it)
T:=your formula with x and y;
plot3d(T,x=0..S,y=0..S);

Whether it will plot your infinite series I don't know. You might have to just plot a large number of terms.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. Do I need the with(plots) command too ?

bossman007 said:
Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. Do I need the with(plots) command too ?

I don't think so. You can put with(plots); into be safe, it won't hurt.

Hi,

This in the picture is what I have so far, any corrections to be noted would be very helpful. I do not know how to get this thing to work !

[PLAIN]http://postimage.org/image/c5att96xx/ [/PLAIN]

changing T(x,y) to just T i also get this:

[PLAIN]http://postimage.org/image/bby80n0x1/ [/PLAIN]

Last edited by a moderator:
I also just changed "PI" to the actual symbol to see if that fixed anything, and i get this "Warning, unable to evaluate the function to numeric values in the region; see the plotting command's help page to ensure the calling sequence is correct" still

It's hard to read those images. But what it displays for your T with all that stuff in the denominator surely can't be correct. You must have some syntax errors in your formula for T. Also I think you want to use Pi, not PI.

If you want to print your formula here in TeX so I can read it correctly, I can enter it and try it.

bossman007 said:
I also just changed "PI" to the actual symbol to see if that fixed anything, and i get this "Warning, unable to evaluate the function to numeric values in the region; see the plotting command's help page to ensure the calling sequence is correct" still

Change PI to Pi; in Maple, pi is a symbol and PI is the upper-case pi symbol; if you want the usual constant π you need to write Pi. See here:
evalf([pi,PI,Pi]);
[pi, PI, 3.141592654]

(the pi and PI print on screen as π and ∏, but did not copy properly from a Maple worksheet to here).

RGV

Thank u , The error in the 2nd picture is the big problem I think ?? If you click the image again it will zoom in so it's easier to read

Nevermind typing the formula. I think I got it typed in. Here's what I got with S = 1. I don't know what you are doing wrong.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~kurtz/pictures/picture.jpg

Cool ! What did was ur input ? Can I see?

thanks

Last edited:
bossman007 said:
Cool ! What did was ur input ? Can I see?

bossman007 said:
The graph you got is confusing because its supposed to be a flat sheet

The z values represent the temperature at the points (x,y). You can see it is zero along three edges.

> T := 40*(sum(sin(n*Pi*x)*sinh(n*Pi*y)/((2*n+1)^2*n*sinh(10*n*Pi)), n = 1 .. 5))/Pi;

> s := 1;

> plot3d(T, x = 0 .. s, y = 0 .. s, axes = boxed);

this look right? i used your code. many thanks!

[PLAIN]http://postimage.org/image/q6uazt7w1/ [/PLAIN]

it makes sense because all 3 sides are 0 while the other side is not. thanks so much

1. How do I plot 2D steady state temperature in Maple?

To plot 2D steady state temperature in Maple, you will need to use the "contourplot" function. This function takes in the temperature equation and the range of values for the independent variables as parameters. You can also add labels and a color scale to your plot for better visualization.

2. Can I plot multiple 2D steady state temperatures on the same graph?

Yes, you can plot multiple 2D steady state temperatures on the same graph by using the "display" function. This function allows you to combine multiple plots into one, making it easier to compare different temperatures or variables.

3. How do I change the color scheme of my 2D steady state temperature plot?

To change the color scheme of your 2D steady state temperature plot, you can use the "color" option in the "contourplot" function. This allows you to specify a different color palette or choose specific colors for different temperature ranges.

4. How can I add a legend to my 2D steady state temperature plot?

To add a legend to your 2D steady state temperature plot, you can use the "legend" option in the "contourplot" function. This will automatically create a color scale with labels for different temperature ranges on your plot.

5. Is it possible to export my 2D steady state temperature plot as an image or in a different format?

Yes, you can export your 2D steady state temperature plot as an image or in a different format by using the "exportplot" function. This function allows you to save your plot as a PNG, JPEG, PDF, or other file formats.