1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do i plot 2D steady state temp in maple?

1. Nov 9, 2012 #1
    Hi all, I am wondering how I plot the steady state temperature distribution of a square flat sheet in maple. I solved the initial partial differential equation I was given and ended up with a function generalized as

T(x,y) =(constants)*sum(stuff).

Which is a Fourier series representing how the temperature flows through my sheet. Only one side of the square sheet is being heated so I have a general idea of how the graph should look, but I'm a maple newbie and wondering if from this explanation if anyone can be a help and provide a template helping me choose the right plot to pick, the commands and calls and how to set up my initial boundary conditions

T(x,0)= 0
    T(S,y)=0
    T(0,y)=0

T(x,S)=T_0 <==this is the edge being heated

If anyone wants more information please let me know! Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

S:=some value; (you can't leave it as a variable to plot it)
    T:=your formula with x and y;
    plot3d(T,x=0..S,y=0..S);

Whether it will plot your infinite series I don't know. You might have to just plot a large number of terms.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  4. Nov 9, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. Do I need the with(plots) command too ?

5. Nov 9, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think so. You can put with(plots); in to be safe, it won't hurt.

6. Nov 9, 2012 #5
    Hi,

This in the picture is what I have so far, any corrections to be noted would be very helpful. I do not know how to get this thing to work !

[PLAIN]http://postimage.org/image/c5att96xx/ [Broken][/PLAIN]

changing T(x,y) to just T i also get this:

[PLAIN]http://postimage.org/image/bby80n0x1/ [Broken][/PLAIN]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Nov 9, 2012 #6
    I also just changed "PI" to the actual symbol to see if that fixed anything, and i get this "Warning, unable to evaluate the function to numeric values in the region; see the plotting command's help page to ensure the calling sequence is correct" still

8. Nov 9, 2012 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's hard to read those images. But what it displays for your T with all that stuff in the denominator surely can't be correct. You must have some syntax errors in your formula for T. Also I think you want to use Pi, not PI.

9. Nov 9, 2012 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you want to print your formula here in TeX so I can read it correctly, I can enter it and try it.

10. Nov 9, 2012 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Change PI to Pi; in Maple, pi is a symbol and PI is the upper-case pi symbol; if you want the usual constant π you need to write Pi. See here:
    evalf([pi,PI,Pi]);
    [pi, PI, 3.141592654]

(the pi and PI print on screen as π and ∏, but did not copy properly from a Maple worksheet to here).

RGV

11. Nov 9, 2012 #10
    Thank u , The error in the 2nd picture is the big problem I think ?? If you click the image again it will zoom in so it's easier to read

12. Nov 9, 2012 #11

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nevermind typing the formula. I think I got it typed in. Here's what I got with S = 1. I don't know what you are doing wrong.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~kurtz/pictures/picture.jpg [Broken]

13. Nov 9, 2012 #12
    Cool ! What did was ur input ? Can I see?

14. Nov 9, 2012 #13
    thanks

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  15. Nov 9, 2012 #14

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The z values represent the temperature at the points (x,y). You can see it is zero along three edges.

> T := 40*(sum(sin(n*Pi*x)*sinh(n*Pi*y)/((2*n+1)^2*n*sinh(10*n*Pi)), n = 1 .. 5))/Pi;

> s := 1;

> plot3d(T, x = 0 .. s, y = 0 .. s, axes = boxed);

16. Nov 9, 2012 #15
    this look right? i used your code. many thanks!

[PLAIN]http://postimage.org/image/q6uazt7w1/ [Broken][/PLAIN]

it makes sense because all 3 sides are 0 while the other side is not. thx so much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook