How do i simulate this situation in catia Structural analysis?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to simulate the impact of a car crash on a rotor spinning perpendicular to its direction of travel. It is suggested to apply an acceleration to the rotor based on the relative masses of the car and rotor, with consideration for rotordynamic effects. The definition of "survive" in relation to the bearings is also questioned. The equation for calculating the acceleration is mentioned, and the importance of ensuring the rotor does not fly off the bearings is emphasized.
Webbd050
I have a rotor spinning perpendicular to the direction of travel of a car. Its supported at either end of its axle by bearings. The car crashes and I've calculated the force of the crash to be approximately 672kN. How would i simulate this on the rotor as a shock load? I could do it as a static load would that give the same results? Also how do i know if the bearings would survive the impact? Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The first step is to find how much of your "crash force" is actually felt by the rotor. That depends on the relative masses of the car and the rotor, and how flexible the car structure is.

A fairly straightforward approach would be to assume the bearings are rigid and apply an acceleration to the rotor, opposite to the acceleration of the car as it crashes, Rotordynamic effects like gyroscopic forces may or may not be significant, depending on the design of the rotor and its speed, but in any case it would be a good idea to get the model giving sensible results with the rotor not spinning before you include the rotordynamics.
Also how do i know if the bearings would survive the impact?
First define "survive". Do you mean the rotor doesn't fall out of the car, or that it will still do whatever it is supposed to do after the crash?

Ahhh okay so what equation would i use to calculate the acceleration? I haven't got a figure for the time of the crash. By survive i mean the rotor isn't going to fly off the bearings and embed itself in someones head. Thanks

You know the force. You should be able to guess the mass of the car even if you don't know it exactly. Force = mass x acceleration.

1. How do I import my model into the structural analysis environment in Catia?

To import your model into the structural analysis environment in Catia, you can use the "Insert" function and select "Existing Part" to import your model. Alternatively, you can use the "Analysis" workbench and select "Import Model" to import your model directly into the structural analysis environment.

2. What is the difference between linear and non-linear analysis in Catia?

In linear analysis, the material behavior is assumed to follow Hooke's law, where stress is proportional to strain. Non-linear analysis takes into account material properties beyond the linear range, such as plastic deformation or large displacements. Non-linear analysis is more accurate but also more computationally intensive.

3. How do I define boundary conditions and loads in Catia Structural analysis?

You can define boundary conditions and loads by selecting the "Constraint" and "Force" icons in the "Analysis" workbench. You can then choose the type of boundary condition or load and specify the values and locations accordingly.

4. What are the different types of elements available in Catia Structural analysis?

There are various types of elements available in Catia Structural analysis, including 1D beam elements, 2D shell elements, and 3D solid elements. Each type of element has its own specific use and characteristics, and it is important to choose the appropriate element type for your simulation.

5. Can I run multiple simulations in Catia Structural analysis?

Yes, you can run multiple simulations in Catia Structural analysis by creating different scenarios within the "Analysis" workbench. This allows you to compare different boundary conditions, loads, and material properties to analyze their effects on the model's behavior.