How do my successive diffraction patterns look?

In summary,The author feels that their approaches to solving a problem are contrived, and they realized that they eliminated the ##\rho## term in their Jacobian, which caused their solution to no longer work.
PhDeezNutz
Homework Statement
Do they actually look reasonable for a circular aperture? Going from the far field to the near field?
Relevant Equations
No equations, qualitative question.
circularapertureprogression.jpg

I feel like I am "exactly wrong" ; In the far field I get more variation in the same xy-space and in the near field I get less variation. I feel like the opposite would be true.

I'm trying to create a diffraction pattern by replacing the aperture with a thin cylinder with a uniform volume current parallel to the axis. This approach may not be theoretically informed, I'm just trying random radiation distributions.

Is my flux pattern even right for a uniform volume current (thin cylinder filled with uniform volume current parallel to the axis and flux pattern in a plane parallel to the circular faces of the cylinder)? I feel like it is not; I think the flux pattern should be more spread out in the far field as opposed to the near field but I'm getting the opposite of that.

Physics news on Phys.org
MuchBetter.jpg

I think this is a little better. Far field to near field.

Is the sequence top left is far field and bottom right is near field? In which case near field is narrower.
I cannot quite picture your radiating cylinder and which plane it is in.
Can you say how far each diagram is from the aperture in terms of wavelengths, and what are the dimensions of the aperture in wavelengths?
Apologies, I cannot quite work out your information at the moment. I think a sketch of the set up might help.
As far as I can see, far field main lobe gets progressively wider and has side lobes and near field does not, which is correct.

Likes PhDeezNutz
tech99 said:
Is the sequence top left is far field and bottom right is near field? In which case near field is narrower.
I cannot quite picture your radiating cylinder and which plane it is in.
Can you say how far each diagram is from the aperture in terms of wavelengths, and what are the dimensions of the aperture in wavelengths?
Apologies, I cannot quite work out your information at the moment. I think a sketch of the set up might help.
As far as I can see, far field main lobe gets progressively wider and has side lobes and near field does not, which is correct.

I just realized that my "correct looking solutions" are completely contrived I; I got rid of ##\rho## in the Jacobian of my cylindrical coordinates integration and retained the first two terms. When I include the remaining 10 my solution doesn't work.I'll include the information anyway for future reference.
3FE179D3-0212-48DC-818E-C80A375EAAD2.jpeg

The aperture has a radius of 1.

The wavelength is 6283

The picture in the previous post is

1 2 3
4 5 6

1 being the furthest field and 6 being the nearest field.

1) 1592 wavelengths

2) 1256 wavelengths

3) 921 wavelengths

4) 586 wavelengths

5) 251 wavelengths

6) 83 wavelengths

Like I said it’s wrong/inconsistent for the aforementioned reasons. And maybe for more reasons, but if you’re willing to help me I’ll definitely try to provide necessary information.

I am a hands-on engineer so I am not sure I can be of much help.
If the aperture radius is 1, I presume that means 1 wavelength. In this case 83 wavelengths for case 6 seems too great for near field conditions.

Likes PhDeezNutz
tech99 said:
I am a hands-on engineer so I am not sure I can be of much help.
If the aperture radius is 1, I presume that means 1 wavelength. In this case 83 wavelengths for case 6 seems too great for near field conditions.
I agree 83 wavelengths is way too far to be getting near field behavior.

1. What is diffraction and how does it create patterns?

Diffraction is the bending of waves around an obstacle or through an opening. When a wave encounters an obstacle or opening that is comparable in size to its wavelength, it will diffract and create a pattern of alternating light and dark regions.

2. How do successive diffraction patterns differ from each other?

Successive diffraction patterns occur when a wave passes through multiple obstacles or openings. These patterns will differ depending on the number, size, and spacing of the obstacles or openings. As the number of obstacles or openings increases, the patterns become more complex and the regions of light and dark become narrower.

3. What factors affect the appearance of successive diffraction patterns?

The appearance of successive diffraction patterns is affected by the wavelength of the wave, the size and shape of the obstacles or openings, and the distance between them. The angle at which the wave approaches the obstacles or openings also plays a role in the pattern formation.

4. How can successive diffraction patterns be used in scientific research?

Successive diffraction patterns can be used to study the properties of waves, such as their wavelength and frequency. They can also be used to determine the size and spacing of objects, such as atoms and molecules. In addition, successive diffraction patterns are used in various imaging techniques, such as X-ray crystallography, to create detailed images of microscopic structures.

5. Can successive diffraction patterns be observed in everyday life?

Yes, successive diffraction patterns can be observed in everyday life. For example, when light passes through a narrow opening, such as the slit in a window blind, it creates a diffraction pattern on the wall opposite the window. This can also be seen when light passes through a small hole in a piece of paper. In addition, the colorful patterns seen on the surface of a CD or DVD are a result of successive diffraction patterns produced by the laser reading the data on the disc.