How do they know what happened in the first second

• Thread starter bobsmith76
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of how scientists know about the first second of the universe's existence and the evidence for the Big Bang theory. The individual has read multiple books and sources on the subject but has not seen any demonstration of how scientists have this knowledge. Recommendations for further reading are given, including constraints from Big Bang Nucleosynthesis, lectures on cosmology, and specific books such as "The First Three Minutes" by Weinberg. It is also mentioned that learning about science through philosophy may not be effective.
bobsmith76
I've always wondered how they know all that stuff, you know, what happened in the first second of the universe. I've read quite a few books on the subject and I've never seen any demonstration of how they know it.

Space news on Phys.org
Which books?

bobsmith76 said:
I've always wondered how they know all that stuff, you know, what happened in the first second of the universe. I've read quite a few books on the subject and I've never seen any demonstration of how they know it.
If you really want some detail, see here:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/astronomy/bigbang.html

The picture is reasonably clear after the first second under the standard model of particle physics. It gets increasingly unclear under around e-18 seconds when everything was still fantastically hot and dense.

So, I ask again "which books"?

bobsmith76 said:
I see evidence for the BB, which I already accept, I don't see evidence for how they know what happened in the first second.
Well, there are constraints from Big Bang Nucleosynthesis as well as signatures of inflation we see imprinted on the CMB.

Vanadium,

Paul Davies, the Goldilocks Enigma
Cosmology lectures by the Teaching Company, I forget the lecturer, not to mention high school documentaries, probably wikipedia, probably Hawking's Brief History of Time.

First, you will not learn about science by reading books on philosophy.

Second, read Weinberg's "The First Three Minutes".

Third, try and pay more attention to this book than the others you "probably" read. After I am done reading a book, I usually remember if I read it or not.

1. How do scientists know what happened in the first second after the Big Bang?

Scientists use a combination of mathematical models, observations of the universe, and experiments to understand what happened in the first second after the Big Bang. They also rely on theories like the Big Bang Theory and the Standard Model of Particle Physics to make predictions about the events that occurred during this time.

2. What evidence supports the understanding of the first second after the Big Bang?

There are several lines of evidence that support our understanding of the first second after the Big Bang. These include observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the behavior of particles in the Large Hadron Collider.

3. Can we ever truly know what happened in the first second after the Big Bang?

While we can never be 100% certain of what happened in the first second after the Big Bang, the evidence and theories we have allow us to make educated and accurate predictions about the events that occurred during this time. As technology and scientific understanding continue to advance, our understanding of the first second after the Big Bang may also improve.

4. How does understanding the first second after the Big Bang help us understand the universe?

Studying the events that occurred in the first second after the Big Bang gives us insight into the fundamental laws and processes that govern the universe. It also helps us understand how the universe has evolved and changed over time, and how it may continue to evolve in the future.

5. Are there any unanswered questions about the first second after the Big Bang?

Yes, there are still many unanswered questions about the first second after the Big Bang. Some of these include the exact conditions and events that led to the Big Bang, as well as the nature of dark matter and dark energy, which are thought to make up a majority of the universe's mass and energy.