Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do they know what happened in the first second

1. Sep 17, 2011 #1
    I've always wondered how they know all that stuff, you know, what happened in the first second of the universe. I've read quite a few books on the subject and I've never seen any demonstration of how they know it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Which books?

4. Sep 18, 2011 #3

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

If you really want some detail, see here:
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/astronomy/bigbang.html

5. Sep 18, 2011 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The picture is reasonably clear after the first second under the standard model of particle physics. It gets increasingly unclear under around e-18 seconds when everything was still fantastically hot and dense.

6. Sep 18, 2011 #5
    I see evidence for the BB, which I already accept, I don't see evidence for how they know what happened in the first second.

7. Sep 18, 2011 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

So, I ask again "which books"?

8. Sep 18, 2011 #7

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Well, there are constraints from Big Bang Nucleosynthesis as well as signatures of inflation we see imprinted on the CMB.

9. Sep 18, 2011 #8
    Vanadium,

Paul Davies, the Goldilocks Enigma
    Cosmology lectures by the Teaching Company, I forget the lecturer, not to mention high school documentaries, probably wikipedia, probably Hawking's Brief History of Time.

10. Sep 18, 2011 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

First, you will not learn about science by reading books on philosophy.

Second, read Weinberg's "The First Three Minutes".

Third, try and pay more attention to this book than the others you "probably" read. After I am done reading a book, I usually remember if I read it or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook