What are the intercepts for the given quadratic function?

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the y-intercept of a function and the confusion over whether it refers to the point where the curve intersects the y-axis or the y-coordinate at which the two curves intersect each other. It is clarified that the y-intercept is the point where the curve crosses the y-axis and the method to find it is to plug in x=0 into the function. The conversation also mentions solving the quadratic equation to find the x-intercepts, which are the points where y=0, and it is noted that the given answer (-2.3,0) and (4.3,0) are the x-intercepts of the function.
aisha
If f(x)=x^(2)-2x-8 then what is the y-intercept of y=-f(x)+2?

I don't know how to figure this out. I have the answer but don't know how to get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming the "y-intercept" is referring ot the y-coordinates at which the two curves intersect each other?

In which case, it is always the same method to find the points of intersection between two functions:

1) you set them equal with one another

2) solve for x

This gives you the "x intersects". To find the y intercept, just plug in the x intercept in either of the two functions (since they are equal at those precise points) and this gives you the corresponding y-intercept.

Now I'm thinking maybe the "y-intercept" refers to the points at which the curve intercept the y axis...

In this case, ok... f(x) = x^(2)-2x-8 and y = -f(x)+2. That is to say, y = -(x^(2)-2x-8)+2 = (-x^(2)+2x+8)+2 = -x^(2)+2x+10.

When does a function intercept the y axis? It is when x = 0. Just plug x = 0 in your function and it gives you the y coordinate at which the function intercept the y axis.

Quasars got it right in his second post. The y-intercept is the point at which the curve crossing the y-axis. If it crosses the y-axis, x = 0. I think you can take it from there.

Parth Dave said:
Quasars got it right in his second post. The y-intercept is the point at which the curve crossing the y-axis. If it crosses the y-axis, x = 0. I think you can take it from there.

I still don't get it , I tried doing that but didnt get the right answer the answer is (-2.3,0) and (4.3,0)

solve the quadratic

Did you solve the quadratic to find where y = 0?

ok when we factor the quadratic we get x=4 and x=-2
these are the x intercepts (4,0) and (-2,0) so I flipped them around to get the y intercept (0,4) and (0,-2) now the question says then what is the y intercept of y=-f(x)+2 so I multiplied the y coordinate by -1 and added 2 my answer was (0,-2) and (0,4) is this correct? If so is there an easier way? My answer in the lesson says (-2.3,0) and (4.3,0) is this wrong?

The answer given is correct; your factoring is wrong. (Multiply it out and see.) You'll need to use the quadratic formula.

Im stuck I don't know what to do where am I using the quadratic formula? With which equation ?

aisha said:
Im stuck I don't know what to do where am I using the quadratic formula? With which equation ?
In post #3, quasar987 gave you the expression for y as a function of x. Set y = 0, and solve the resulting quadratic.

Doc Al said:
In post #3, quasar987 gave you the expression for y as a function of x. Set y = 0, and solve the resulting quadratic.

ok so a=-1 b=2 and c=10?

I got x=-2.16 and x=4.16 the answer said (-2.3,0) and (4.3,0) where did I go wrong? And how come we are solving for x intercepts when the question asked for y-intercepts. :confused:

Last edited:
Doc Al said:

why do we need to solve for the x intercepts? Dont we just need to know the y intercept?

f(x) = x^2-2x-8

we need to find y intercept of y = -f(x) + 2

plug in f(x) and as mentioned above, just plug in 0 for x to solve for y intercept. I don't see why the x intercept is needed here? Or did aisha mistake y intercepts for x intercepts?

aisha said:
ok so a=-1 b=2 and c=10?

I got x=-2.16 and x=4.16 the answer said (-2.3,0) and (4.3,0) where did I go wrong? And how come we are solving for x intercepts when the question asked for y-intercepts. :confused:

you tell me...

aisha said:
ok so a=-1 b=2 and c=10?
Right.
I got x=-2.16 and x=4.16 the answer said (-2.3,0) and (4.3,0) where did I go wrong?
Be more careful with your arithmetic!
And how come we are solving for x intercepts when the question asked for y-intercepts.
Good point! The answers are the x-intercepts, so I just assumed that you (or the question) mixed things up. :smile:

x-intercepts are the points where y=0; y-intercepts are where x=0. (The y-intercept of this function is (0, 10).)

1. How do you conduct experiments to figure something out?

To conduct an experiment, you first need to identify a research question or problem that you want to investigate. Then, you must design a hypothesis that can be tested through an experiment. Next, gather the necessary materials and follow a specific procedure to carry out the experiment. Collect data and analyze the results to draw conclusions and determine if your hypothesis was supported or not.

2. What methods can be used to figure out a complex problem?

There are several methods that can be used to figure out a complex problem, such as brainstorming, mind mapping, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, seeking advice or input from others, and using trial and error. It is also important to stay organized and keep track of your progress as you work through the problem.

3. How do you use evidence to figure out the answer to a question?

Evidence is crucial in the scientific process as it provides support for your hypothesis or conclusions. To use evidence to figure out the answer to a question, you must first gather reliable and relevant data through observation, experimentation, or research. Then, analyze the data and look for patterns or trends that can support or disprove your question. Finally, draw conclusions based on the evidence and determine the answer to the question.

4. What role does critical thinking play in figuring something out?

Critical thinking is a vital skill in the scientific process as it allows you to analyze and evaluate information, make logical connections, and draw conclusions based on evidence. It involves questioning and examining ideas and concepts, challenging assumptions, and considering different perspectives. Without critical thinking, it would be difficult to figure out complex problems or come up with innovative solutions.

5. How do you determine the validity of your findings when figuring something out?

To determine the validity of your findings, you must first consider the reliability of your data and the methods used to collect it. Then, you should compare your results to previous research and see if they align with established theories or principles. It is also important to consider any limitations or biases that may have influenced your findings. Peer review and replication of the experiment can also help validate your findings.