1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do u figure this out?

1. Dec 24, 2004 #1
    If f(x)=x^(2)-2x-8 then what is the y-intercept of y=-f(x)+2?

I dont know how to figure this out. I have the answer but dont know how to get it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2004 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm assuming the "y-intercept" is referring ot the y-coordinates at which the two curves intersect each other?

In which case, it is always the same method to find the points of intersection between two functions:

1) you set them equal with one another

2) solve for x

This gives you the "x intersects". To find the y intercept, just plug in the x intercept in either of the two functions (since they are equal at those precise points) and this gives you the corresponding y-intercept.

4. Dec 24, 2004 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Now I'm thinking maybe the "y-intercept" refers to the points at which the curve intercept the y axis...

In this case, ok... f(x) = x^(2)-2x-8 and y = -f(x)+2. That is to say, y = -(x^(2)-2x-8)+2 = (-x^(2)+2x+8)+2 = -x^(2)+2x+10.

When does a function intercept the y axis? It is when x = 0. Just plug x = 0 in your function and it gives you the y coordinate at which the function intercept the y axis.

5. Dec 24, 2004 #4
    Quasars got it right in his second post. The y-intercept is the point at which the curve crossing the y-axis. If it crosses the y-axis, x = 0. I think you can take it from there.

6. Dec 24, 2004 #5
    I still dont get it , I tried doing that but didnt get the right answer the answer is (-2.3,0) and (4.3,0)

7. Dec 24, 2004 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

solve the quadratic

Did you solve the quadratic to find where y = 0?

8. Dec 24, 2004 #7
    ok when we factor the quadratic we get x=4 and x=-2
    these are the x intercepts (4,0) and (-2,0) so I flipped them around to get the y intercept (0,4) and (0,-2) now the question says then what is the y intercept of y=-f(x)+2 so I multiplied the y coordinate by -1 and added 2 my answer was (0,-2) and (0,4) is this correct? If so is there an easier way? My answer in the lesson says (-2.3,0) and (4.3,0) is this wrong?

9. Dec 24, 2004 #8

Doc Al

The answer given is correct; your factoring is wrong. (Multiply it out and see.) You'll need to use the quadratic formula.

10. Dec 24, 2004 #9
    Im stuck I dont know what to do where am I using the quadratic formula? With which equation ?

11. Dec 24, 2004 #10

Doc Al

In post #3, quasar987 gave you the expression for y as a function of x. Set y = 0, and solve the resulting quadratic.

12. Dec 24, 2004 #11
    ok so a=-1 b=2 and c=10?

I got x=-2.16 and x=4.16 the answer said (-2.3,0) and (4.3,0) where did I go wrong? And how come we are solving for x intercepts when the question asked for y-intercepts. :confused:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  13. Dec 24, 2004 #12
    why do we need to solve for the x intercepts? Dont we just need to know the y intercept?

f(x) = x^2-2x-8

we need to find y intercept of y = -f(x) + 2

plug in f(x) and as mentioned above, just plug in 0 for x to solve for y intercept. I don't see why the x intercept is needed here? Or did aisha mistake y intercepts for x intercepts?

14. Dec 24, 2004 #13
    you tell me...

15. Dec 25, 2004 #14

Doc Al

Right.
    Be more careful with your arithmetic!
    Good point! The answers are the x-intercepts, so I just assumed that you (or the question) mixed things up. :smile:

x-intercepts are the points where y=0; y-intercepts are where x=0. (The y-intercept of this function is (0, 10).)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?