How Do You Calculate Diode Parameters from Characteristic Points?

• Thread starter elbw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, to solve the problem, you will use the given points on the diode characteristic to determine the values of I_F, U_F, and I_S, and then use those values to calculate n and I_S using the equations provided.
elbw
Hi

Please help me to solve the following problem:

Homework Statement

There are three points given on diode characteristic (1N4148 diode)

Q1=(50uA, 0.6V)
Q2=(500uA, 0.7V)
Q3=(2mA, 0.75V)

I have to calculate:

Is - reverse bias saturation current
n - emission coefficient

Homework Equations

I suppose I have to use Shockley equation
[tex] I_F = I_S ( e^\frac{U_F}{nU_T} - 1)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

UT = 20mV

but solving for Is and n seems to be very complicated

[tex]n=\frac{U_F}{ln(\frac{I_F}{I_S} +1) U_T }[/tex]

[tex]
I_S=\frac{I_F}{e^\frac{U_F}{nU_T}-1}
[/tex]

Are above equations correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do I solve it? Yes, the equations are correct. To solve the problem you will need to use the values of Q1, Q2, and Q3 to determine the values of I_F, U_F, and I_S. Using these values, you can then calculate n by plugging them into the equation for n. Once you have calculated n you can then calculate I_S using the equation for I_S.

Related to How Do You Calculate Diode Parameters from Characteristic Points?

1. What is a diode?

A diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction. It consists of a P-type and N-type semiconductor material, with a junction in between.

2. What are the characteristics of a diode?

The main characteristics of a diode are its forward voltage drop, reverse leakage current, and breakdown voltage. It also has a non-linear current-voltage relationship, with a steep slope in the forward bias region and a flat slope in the reverse bias region.

3. What is the purpose of a diode in a circuit?

A diode can serve various purposes in a circuit, including rectifying AC signals into DC, protecting other components from reverse voltage, and controlling the flow of current. It can also be used as a voltage reference or as a temperature sensor.

4. What are some common problems with diodes?

Some common problems with diodes include overheating, reverse breakdown, and saturation. Overheating can occur due to excessive current or voltage, which can damage the diode. Reverse breakdown is when the diode fails to block reverse current, and saturation is when the diode is unable to control the current flow.

5. How can diode characteristics be analyzed in a circuit?

Diode characteristics can be analyzed by plotting the current-voltage relationship on a graph and determining the forward voltage drop, reverse leakage current, and breakdown voltage. This can also be done through simulations using diode models in software such as LTSpice or MATLAB.