How Do You Calculate Impedance from Power Figures?

• Thread starter The_Ringer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impedance
In summary, the conversation is about figuring out the impedance when the figures are shown in watts instead of the usual rectangular form. The poster is frustrated with the sideways and large picture provided and is asking for clarification. The other person is explaining the issue with the picture and reminding the poster to follow the forum rules before posting.
The_Ringer
How do I figure out the impedance if the figures are shown in watts? I am used to seeing the values in rectangular form.

http://i60.tinypic.com/vcz3u1.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
your picture is sideways and ridiculously large. please edit your post and read the FAQ

Well...?

The_Ringer said:
Well...?

We can't answer a question based on a picture we can't see. The picture is out of focus and cuts half of the text.

It baffles me how often people can't take the time to write an acceptable post.

dauto said:
It baffles me how often people can't take the time to write an acceptable post.

I can picture you waving your fist in the air, haha calm down!

Picture looks ok to me pal, you can see the power figures in place instead of the usual Z impedance. I was saying I have never came across this before.

The_Ringer said:
I can picture you waving your fist in the air, haha calm down!

Picture looks ok to me pal, you can see the power figures in place instead of the usual Z impedance. I was saying I have never came across this before.

Please read this before posting. You aren't getting any help by being passive aggressive.

Related to How Do You Calculate Impedance from Power Figures?

1. What is impedance and why is it important in science?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to an alternating current (AC) in a circuit. It is important in science because it helps us understand the behavior and characteristics of electrical circuits, which are essential in many scientific fields such as physics and engineering.

2. How is impedance different from resistance?

Resistance is a measure of the opposition to current flow in a direct current (DC) circuit, while impedance takes into account the effects of both resistance and reactance (the opposition to changes in current due to capacitance or inductance). In other words, impedance is a more comprehensive measure of the opposition to current flow in an AC circuit.

3. Can impedance be negative?

Yes, impedance can be negative in certain cases where the effects of capacitance and inductance cancel each other out. This is known as a purely resistive circuit, where the impedance is purely real and can be either positive or negative.

4. How is impedance calculated?

Impedance is calculated using the formula Z = R + jX, where Z is the impedance, R is the resistance, and jX is the reactance. The reactance is calculated as either X = 1/ωC (for capacitance) or X = ωL (for inductance), where ω is the angular frequency and C and L are the capacitance and inductance values, respectively.

5. How does impedance affect the performance of electronic devices?

Impedance can have a significant impact on the performance of electronic devices, as it determines the amount of current that can flow through a circuit. If the impedance is too high, it can lead to voltage drops and signal loss, while a low impedance can cause excessive current flow and damage to the circuit. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider impedance when designing and using electronic devices.