How Do You Calculate Projectile Motion from a Cliff?

In summary, the problem involves a projectile being shot horizontally at 220 m/s from the top of a 620 m high cliff. The questions ask for the time it takes for the projectile to hit the ground and the horizontal distance it lands from the base of the cliff. To solve this problem, relevant equations for projectile motion must be used, which relate position, velocity, and acceleration of the object to time. These equations can be found in the textbook or other learning materials and can be applied to find the solutions to the given questions.
catallie16
A projectile is shot horizontally at 220 m/s from the top of a 620 m high cliff.

A) How long till the projectile hits the ground?

B) How far from the base of the cliff does the projectile land?

I am going to be honest. I have no idea how to do any of my Physics homework. ): I still have 3 more questions to do too outta 5.

Physics news on Phys.org
catallie16 said:
A projectile is shot horizontally at 220 m/s from the top of a 620 m high cliff.

A) How long till the projectile hits the ground?

B) How far from the base of the cliff does the projectile land?

I am going to be honest. I have no idea how to do any of my Physics homework. ): I still have 3 more questions to do too outta 5.

Welcome to the PF.

Per the PF rules (see the Rules link at the top of the page), you need to show some effort on your schoolwork before we can be of tutorial help.

What are the relevant equations for these types of problems? They are listed in your textbook or other learning materials. The equations relate the position, velocity and acceleration of the object versus time. Can you write those general equations here? And then how would they apply to these questions?

Related to How Do You Calculate Projectile Motion from a Cliff?

1. What is motion in two dimensions?

Motion in two dimensions refers to the movement of an object in two different directions simultaneously. This can be represented by two perpendicular axes, such as the x-axis and y-axis, and is often described using displacement, velocity, and acceleration in both directions.

2. How is motion in two dimensions different from motion in one dimension?

Motion in two dimensions involves movement in two different directions, while motion in one dimension only involves movement in one direction. This means that motion in two dimensions is more complex and requires additional mathematical concepts, such as vectors, to fully describe and analyze.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed in two dimensions?

Velocity in two dimensions is a vector quantity that describes both the speed and direction of an object's motion. Speed, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that only describes how fast an object is moving, regardless of direction.

4. How do you calculate displacement in two dimensions?

Displacement in two dimensions is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which takes into account both the horizontal and vertical components of an object's motion. The formula is √(Δx² + Δy²), where Δx is the change in the x-direction and Δy is the change in the y-direction.

5. What is projectile motion and how is it related to motion in two dimensions?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity. This type of motion is related to motion in two dimensions because it involves movement in both the horizontal and vertical directions simultaneously.