How Do You Calculate Terminal Velocity for a Wooden Sphere Falling Through Air?

In summary: You might want to check the units on your coefficient of drag (0.5 seems a little low) and your cross-sectional area (I get 0.020106 m^2).In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the terminal speed of a wooden sphere falling through air and the height it would reach in the absence of air resistance. The equation used for the calculation is Vt = sqrt((2mg)/(DroeA)), and the values for the density of air, mass, and cross-sectional area are given. The final answer is 55.1 cm/s, which may vary depending on the units used for the coefficient of drag and cross-sectional area.
booksrmylife

Homework Statement

(a) Estimate the terminal speed of a wooden sphere (density 0.870 g/cm3) falling through air, if its radius is 8.00 cm and its drag coefficient is 0.500. (The density of air is 1.20 kg/m3.)
(b) From what height would a freely falling object reach this speed in the absence of air resistance?

Homework Equations

Vt = sqrt((2mg)/(DroeA))
v^2=2gx

The Attempt at a Solution

(A)
r=.08m
A=r^2pi=.020106
d=870kg/m^3
m=4/3pir^3*d=1.86585
so Vt should be sqrt((2(1.86585)g)/((.5)(1.2)(.020106))) or55.1
but it says that's wrong

can't start b without an a answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using those figures, I get the same answer.

I'm assuming you are using an online homework system? Does it specify what units it wants? Much of the problem is defined in terms of https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/CGS" . Perhaps try converting your answer to cm/s?

Last edited by a moderator:
nope, for sure mks... :( i was almost hoping i was doing something wrong.

anyone else have an idea?

is it possible that I'm using the wrong equation?

Probably not. I'm assuming this is an introductory physics course, so you're probably not being asked to model fluid flow with Navier-Stokes.

The dynamics of the system are, calling the drag force F and down positive:
[tex]m\mathbf{\ddot{x}} = m\mathbf{g} + \mathbf{F}[/tex].

Then, F is defined as:
[tex]\mathbf{F} = -C_D\frac{1}{2}\rho V^2 S \hat{\mathbf{V}}[/tex] (i.e. opposite of velocity)

Since [tex]m\mathbf{\ddot{x}}=0[/tex] for terminal velocity, this leads to
[tex]0 = mg - C_D\frac{1}{2}\rho V^2 S[/tex]

Solving for Vt:
[tex] V_t = \sqrt{\frac{2mg}{C_D\rho S}}[/tex]

where CD is coefficient of drag, and S is cross-sectional area orthogonal to the flow.

So, that eqn. should work.

Related to How Do You Calculate Terminal Velocity for a Wooden Sphere Falling Through Air?

1. What is terminal velocity quadratic?

Terminal velocity quadratic is a mathematical equation used to calculate the maximum speed that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It takes into account the object's weight, the density of the fluid, and the drag force acting on the object.

2. How is terminal velocity quadratic calculated?

The formula for terminal velocity quadratic is v = √(2mg/ρACd), where v is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the object's cross-sectional area, and Cd is the drag coefficient.

3. What factors affect terminal velocity?

The factors that affect terminal velocity include the mass and shape of the object, the density and viscosity of the fluid, and the presence of any external forces, such as wind or air resistance. These factors can change the drag force acting on the object and thus affect its terminal velocity.

4. Can terminal velocity quadratic be applied to all objects?

No, terminal velocity quadratic is only applicable to objects falling through a fluid. It does not take into account other factors that may affect the object's speed, such as air resistance or acceleration due to gravity on different planets.

5. How is terminal velocity quadratic useful in real life?

Terminal velocity quadratic is useful in understanding the motion of objects falling through a fluid, such as skydivers or parachutes. It can also be used to design objects that need to reach a specific speed, such as projectiles or aircrafts. Additionally, it is helpful in predicting the impact force of a falling object, which can be important for safety purposes.