How Do You Calculate the Initial Speeds of Two Electrons in a Collision?

In summary, two electrons, one starting with twice the speed of the other, are fired directly at each other and their closest approach in this head-on collision is at a distance of 4.0 * 10-14 m. Using the equations for electrical and kinetic energy, the initial speeds of the electrons are determined to be 1.0 * 108 m/s and 5.0 * 107 m/s respectively. The textbook only gives one answer, but your calculated values for both velocities are correct.
Millacol88

Homework Statement

Two electrons separated by a large distance are fired directly at each other. The closest approach in this head-on collision is 4.0 * 10-14 m. One electron starts with twice the speed of the other. Assuming there is no deflection from the original path, determine the initial speed of each electron.

Homework Equations

Ee = kq1q2 / r
Ek = 1/2 mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really lost as to how to start this. It must have something to do with electrical and kinetic energy but other than that I am mystified as to how to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
My first step would be to calculate the potential of 2 electrons at the given separation (equation 1)
The total KE would then be equal to this as the next step

OK, so I'm getting the velocities as 1.0 * 108 m/s and 5.0 * 107 m/s. I'm pretty confident about this but the textbook only gives one answer (5.3 *7 10) m/s. There should be two velocities as an answer, so I think that must be an error. Is my answer correct?

Millacol88 said:

Homework Statement

Two electrons separated by a large distance are fired directly at each other. The closest approach in this head-on collision is 4.0 * 10-14 m. One electron starts with twice the speed of the other. Assuming there is no deflection from the original path, determine the initial speed of each electron.

Homework Equations

Ee = kq1q2 / r
Ek = 1/2 mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really lost as to how to start this. It must have something to do with electrical and kinetic energy but other than that I am mystified as to how to solve this.

Millacol88 said:
OK, so I'm getting the velocities as 1.0 * 108 m/s and 5.0 * 107 m/s. I'm pretty confident about this but the textbook only gives one answer (5.3 *7 10) m/s. There should be two velocities as an answer, so I think that must be an error. Is my answer correct?

I suppose yes, your answers are correct !

Don't worry, it's completely normal to feel confused at first when faced with a new problem. Let's break it down step by step.

First, we need to understand the concept of electrical and kinetic energy. Electrical energy is the potential energy that exists between two charged particles, in this case the two electrons. Kinetic energy, on the other hand, is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

In this problem, the two electrons are fired directly at each other, meaning they have the same initial direction and will collide head-on. The closest approach (4.0 * 10^-14 m) is the point at which the two electrons are closest to each other.

Now, we know that one electron starts with twice the speed of the other. Let's call the speed of the first electron v1 and the speed of the second electron v2. Since the two electrons have the same mass, we can use the equation for kinetic energy (Ek = 1/2 mv^2) to set up an equation:

1/2 m (2v1)^2 = 1/2 m v2^2

Simplifying this, we get:

2v1^2 = v2^2

This means that the initial speed of the first electron (v1) is equal to the square root of half the speed of the second electron (v2).

Next, we can use the equation for electrical energy (Ee = kq1q2 / r) to find the potential energy between the two electrons at the closest approach. Since the electrons have the same charge, we can rewrite the equation as:

Ee = k (q^2) / r

We know that the distance between the two electrons at the closest approach is 4.0 * 10^-14 m, so we can plug this in for r.

Now, we need to find the charge of each electron (q). This can be calculated using the value for the elementary charge (e = 1.602 x 10^-19 C). Since both electrons have the same charge, we can set up an equation:

k (q^2) / 4.0 * 10^-14 = 1.602 x 10^-19

Solving for q, we get:

q = √(1.602 x 10^-19 / k * 4.0

Related to How Do You Calculate the Initial Speeds of Two Electrons in a Collision?

1. What happens when electrons collide?

When electrons collide, they can transfer energy to each other or produce new particles, depending on the conditions of the collision. In some cases, the electrons may even annihilate each other.

2. Why do electrons collide?

Electrons can collide due to a variety of reasons, such as being in an accelerator, being in a high-energy environment, or being part of a chemical reaction. Collisions can also occur naturally in space due to the movement of charged particles.

3. How is the energy of an electron collision calculated?

The energy of an electron collision can be calculated using the formula E = mc^2, where E is the energy, m is the mass of the electron, and c is the speed of light. The energy of the collision will depend on the mass and speed of the colliding electrons.

4. What are the potential consequences of electron collisions?

Electron collisions can have a range of consequences, depending on the energy and conditions of the collision. In high-energy collisions, new particles can be produced, which can help scientists understand the fundamental building blocks of matter. In other cases, collisions can lead to chemical reactions, which are essential for many natural processes and technological applications.

5. How do scientists study and observe electron collisions?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study and observe electron collisions. These include particle accelerators, detectors, and computer simulations. By analyzing the data from these experiments, scientists can gain insight into the behavior of electrons and their interactions.