How Do You Calculate the Sum of the Series 1/(k^1.5)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of the infinite series 1/(k^1.5) and the search for an exact expression for its sum. The conversation also touches on the zeta function and its evaluation at fractional values. Finally, it mentions a puzzle involving a stack of cubes with different heights.
homology
hello,

I'm working on a little puzzle and part of it requires summing the infinite series 1/(k^1.5) which clearly converges, but I've never been very good at actually finding what a series converges to. Could you give me a good swift kick in the head. Just a hint will do.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
does it converge to something like 2.61216453017413...? that's what i got by adding the first 90 million terms.

Yeah I know, but how to show to what it converges exactly?

Here's something I've been trying. bear with me

Now

[itex]
\frac{1}{(k^{1.5})}
[/itex]

is the laplace transform of

[itex]
\sqrt{t} \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}
[/itex]

So we can rewrite our series as

[itex]
\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^{1.5}} = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{0}^{\infty} \sqrt{t} e^{-kt} dt
[/itex]

The integral is pretty nice being positive and decreasing so there's probably a nice theorem out there saying we can swap sum and integral, which gives us

[itex]
\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{0}^{\infty} \sqrt{t} \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} e^{-kt} dt
[/itex]

The sum is a geometric one, or pretty close, and we get the following

[itex]
\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\sqrt{t}e^{-t}}{1-e^{-t}} dt
[/itex]

Now I'm a big baby and can't figure out how to integrate this. I shove it in mathematica (and replace infinity with a big number) and I get the same (approximately) as I do when evaluate the truncated series. Which is about 2.61238. Now I'm sure there's a nice way to evaluate this integral and get an exact answer. Any takers?

Last edited:
murshid_islam said:
does it converge to something like 2.61216453017413...? that's what i got by adding the first 90 million terms.

Well, you have the first two decimal places correct. It's 2.6123753486854883433485675679240716305708006524...

It's just the zeta function, which is easy to calculate.
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RiemannZetaFunction.html

Well I looked into the link and I can see lots of information on the zeta function evaluated at integer values but nothing about fractional powers like 3/2. Could you outline how to get an exact expression for something like this?

Thanks

Kevin

homology said:
Well I looked into the link and I can see lots of information on the zeta function evaluated at integer values but nothing about fractional powers like 3/2. Could you outline how to get an exact expression for something like this?

Thanks

Kevin

it converges to [itex]\zeta (\frac{3}{2})[/itex]. What makes you think there's a nicer way to write it down? :smile:

homology said:

There are several mentions of fractional values, just none for 3/2. I doubt there's a closed form expression; finding closed-form expressions for zeta values other than even integers is hard in general.

I only thought it converged to a nicer expression because its part of a puzzle I was working on. You are given a gift that is unusually wrapped. It is shaped like a stack of cubes, the first one is 1 foot hight the second is [itex]
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}
[/itex]
The third is
[itex]
\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}
[/itex]
and so on. So the height is clearly infinite. The problem also asks about the surface area, which is infinites and the volume which gives us the series I started with, which is finite. Given that it was a puzzle, I sort of supposed that it would come out nicer. Thanks for all the input.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Sum of the Series 1/(k^1.5)?

What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a mathematical expression that consists of an infinite number of terms. The terms in the series are added together in a specific order, and the sum of all the terms is called the value of the series.

What is the formula for summing an infinite series 1/(k^1.5)?

The formula for summing an infinite series 1/(k^1.5) is Σ(1/k^1.5) = 2 - 2^(1/2), where Σ denotes the sum of the series and k is the index variable that takes on all positive integer values.

How do I know if an infinite series converges or diverges?

An infinite series converges if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. It diverges if the sum of its terms approaches infinity or does not approach any value. In the case of 1/(k^1.5), the series converges since its sum approaches a finite value of 2 - 2^(1/2).

What is the significance of summing an infinite series 1/(k^1.5)?

Summing an infinite series 1/(k^1.5) has important applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to calculate the area under certain curves, estimate probabilities in statistics, and solve differential equations, among other things.

How can I calculate the sum of an infinite series 1/(k^1.5)?

There are various methods for calculating the sum of an infinite series, such as the geometric series method, the telescoping series method, and the integral test method. In the case of 1/(k^1.5), you can use the telescoping series method to simplify the sum and then use the formula mentioned earlier to calculate the sum.