How do you calculate torque produced by high speed winds on a turbine

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving power generation in high wind conditions using a proprietary, lightweight turbine design. The dimensions of the turbine are specified, and its performance has been tested at different wind velocities. The question of how to calculate the torque produced by the turbine at various wind velocities is raised, and a simplistic approach using the power formula is suggested. It is also mentioned that the blade angle may affect the power input to the turbine and that there may be official design codes to consider.
Donald Ewing
Salutations... I am new to this and have a project that I am working on for power generation in high wind conditions and could use some enlightenment.

I am using a proprietary, lite weight turbine (impeller) design, enclosed in a duct, that has the following dimensions:

1. 4 blade turbine
  2. (impeller type, 2" shaft),
  3. (the blades are 3" foil design)
  4. 8" total turbine diameter
  5. 3' in length

I have tested the turbine at sea level, with variable wind velocity of:

1. 20 mph = 1,200 rpm
  2. 50 mph = 3,000 rpm
  3. 100 mph = 5,000+ rpm

How do you calculate the torque that is produced by the spinning turbine at the various wind velocities?

Any enlightenment is greatly appreciated. Thanks...,

Physics news on Phys.org
From a simplistic approach, you can get the power of the turbine based on the wind velocity. I can't remember the exact formula but the power was basically proportional to the velocity3. Then just use power divided angular velocity.

However, you should check to see if there any official design codes for these things as I would believe that the blade angle would affect the power input to the turbine. It might possibly be the basic same way as calculating power from a steam turbine.

1. What is torque and how is it related to wind turbines?

Torque is a measure of rotational force that is applied to an object. In the case of wind turbines, torque is the force that is produced by the wind as it pushes against the blades, causing them to rotate.

2. How do you calculate the torque produced by high speed winds on a turbine?

The formula for torque is torque = force x distance. In the case of wind turbines, the force is the wind speed and the distance is the length of the blades. So, to calculate the torque produced by high speed winds on a turbine, you would multiply the wind speed by the length of the blades.

3. What factors affect the torque produced by high speed winds on a turbine?

The main factors that affect the torque produced by high speed winds on a turbine are the wind speed, the length of the blades, and the angle of attack of the blades. Other factors such as the density and temperature of the air can also have an impact.

4. Is there a maximum torque that can be produced by a wind turbine?

Yes, there is a maximum torque that can be produced by a wind turbine. This is determined by the design and materials of the turbine, as well as the wind speed. If the wind speed is too high, it can actually damage the turbine or cause it to shut down for safety reasons.

5. How is torque used in the design and operation of wind turbines?

Torque is an important factor in the design and operation of wind turbines. It is used to determine the strength and durability of the turbine components, as well as the maximum power that the turbine can generate. Additionally, torque is used to control the speed and direction of the turbine through the use of a rotor or yaw mechanism.